An explanation

During this book, I referred many times to a legend some of you may not be familiar with. Here I will explain it to you.

A long time ago,in 1966, in a small town by a river, a group of friends were hanging out in their car. They had just come back from a party. They were driving past a wildlife reserve a few miles from town. It was called the "TNT area" by the locals because of its past life as TNT factory. It was a popular hangout for youths at the time. The driver, Roger Scarberry, and his friends regularly hung out at the area. That night, however, they noticed something was wrong. That's when they noticed two red lights by a nearby fence. It turned out the lights were eyes belonging to a seven-foot-tall being. It unfolded its massive wings and, without flapping, rose into the air. Scarberry not knowing what else to do, hit the pedal and fled. The monster kept up with the car even as it sped to 100 miles per hour. The kids hurriedly reported the sighting to the police. Such began the legend of Mothman.
The next night, townspeople went on a search for this creature. They did not find it, however someone did. A woman was walking to a friend's house near the TNT area. She saw a grey creature with wings in the yard. She was so scared she dropped her infant daughter she was carrying. She was momentarily paralysed, as she stared into the eyes of the monster. She regained herself and took her daughter into the house. The guests of the house said that Mothman peered into the windows of the house. When the police showed up later, there was no trace of the monster.
There were more and more sightings of the mysterious beast known as Mothman. Some witnesses did not speak for fear of being thought of being insane. Sketch artists made sketches of the beast. Throughout all the descriptions of the beast one thing was not known...it's face. No one paid attention to its facial features, seemingly drawn to its eyes. And another fact stuck out, the fact that the monster never flapped its wings, but instead just lifted from the air.
For a while, the Mothman was a huge mystery. Some skeptics claim Mothman to be a misidentified species of bird. However at the same time of Mothman sightings were UFO sightings, leading some to believe Mothman as an alien. Another theory is about toxic mutation leaking from the TNT area. Still no one could pinpoint the true cause.
Mothman was believed to be a prophetic omen. That was tried when, in 1967, The Silver Bridge adjoining the small town collapsed tragically, killing 43 people. Some believed sighting Mothman on the bridge that very day. Mothman was also thought to be a curse placed by a native chieftain murdered two hundred years before. Even though the myth was never found out, after the collapse of the bridge, Mothman was never spotted again.

That is all according to godsandmonsters.com. However, if you ask the locals of Point Pleasant, you will get a different story.

You would think that having a huge seven-foot-tall being in your town would be scary. In Point Pleasant, the locals love their Mothman. They hold a week long Mothman festival every year in August, and have a Mothman Museum open year round. You can purchase Mothman souvenirs and apparel there.

Probably the reason why they love their monster is because they believe Mothman is protecting their small little town from bad events. Mothman is believed to be an omen, a warning of future events. Mothman has been known to travel outside of his hometown. On September 11, 2011, Mothman was sighted in New York City. He has even been spotted in places as far as Germany.

Mothman remains one of the biggest urban legends to date. Locals believe one day that Mothman will return with another warning. The only question is When will he reappear, and where will his warning take place?