Chapter 23

Before I knew it, Isa had grabbed my hand and was pulling me down the hall as she ran. Where are we going? I mentally ask her.

To Vandailia.

The two of us run through the halls. It's still early morning so many kids are still asleep. I realize Isa doesn't stop to navigate. Maybe I'm not the only one who has memorized where the infirmary is. A few minutes later, we are nearing the room where Vandailia is being kept.

"Oh no." Isa mutters. I am about to ask what is wrong. But then we turn the corner and I don't need to. There, in front of the room, stands the group of professors along with the two men. They don't notice the two of us. They are all gathered around something in front of the door. There is lots of shouting and noise, but I can't make out anything in particular. Then, some people move and I see what they are gathered around. A large, gray wolf. Owen.

The wolf snarls at the people approaching the door. Owen is trying to protect Vandailia. I watch as Owen guards the door, shifting back and forth. The two men are trying to get in the room. I see Professor McKinley standing behind them with the rest of the professors. It's clear they don't like what's happening and they can't control it. These two men must be very powerful if they have authority over the teachers. Looking over the professors I notice that Professor Zeithman isn't there. Where could he be?

Just then, one of the men grabs Owen. The other one holds out his hand, palm flat. A silver cuff bracelet materializes in his hand. He hands the thing to the other man, who puts in on the wolf's paw. Suddenly Owen shifts back to his human form. The man pulls him to his feet and holds Owen by his shoulders, keeping him still.

The other man takes a step through the door. He takes a key from his pocket and unlocks the door. I thought Professor McKinley was the only one with a key... The man puts his hand on the door and opens the room. I hear everyone gasp,including Owen. From the angle we are at, I can't see into the room.

Not knowing what else to do, I move toward the crowd. When I get close enough I look into the room. The room is very small. The only things in it is a small bed with a table next to it. An untouched tray of food sits on the table. Other than that, nothing is in the room. I see another locked door in the room. Then, I see what everyone gasped at. The wide gaping hole where the window used to be...

"What's going on here?!"

The voice rings around the corridor. I turn to see Alice, a hoodie on overtop of her pajamas. Her hands are on her hips and she looks mad. She looks over the group, quickly scanning us. I watch as she sees Owen being held by the man. He meets her eyes and they seem to communicate in that silent way wolves do.

Alice turns to look at Professor McKinley. "Whats going on here? What did Owen do?"

"Nothing. These men were just about to leave." The headmistress reassures her. She goes to stand in front of the men.
"What did I tell you? Nothing dangerous is here. Your business here is done. As headmistress of this school, I have the authority to command you to leave." With that the man releases Owen. He stand beside Alice and they take off the cuff on his wrist. He rubs his wrist where it was on. The two men look at each other and turn to go down the hallway.

"Gates, make sure those men leave." Professor McKinley tells our teacher.Professor Gates nods and follows after the men. Professor McKinley turns to us. "Girls,I can explain. Meet me in my office in half an hour."

Half an hour later, we sit in Professor McKinley's office, holding mugs of coffee. Her office is a big, nicely furnished room. We sit on some comfortable armchairs. She sits on one as well, wearing a light blue dress. "Girls, I am afraid I have not been telling you all about the conditions of your friend." She says. "I assume you already know she is not a normal Electra."

Alice and Isa nod, while I look confused. Professor McKinley opens her mouth to explain when she gets a knock on her door. "Come in." Professor McKinley says.

The door opens to admit Professor Zeithman. "Oh, I didn't know you had students in here." He says pausing at the door.

"Oh it's quite alright." She says. "Go ahead, say what you need to."

"It's important." He says.

Professor McKinley looks at us. "It's okay. I trust them."

"Okay then." Professor Zeithman steps inside. "It's about the Mystic Protectors. There has been reports of them in the nearby town of Gladstone."

"What?!" The headmistress leapt up from her seat.

"It would appear they want to take the school." Professor Zeithman says. His face shows no emotion.

"We can't let them!" Professor McKinley says.

Professor Zeithman turns to look at her. He hasn't moved from right in front of the door. "I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

"What do you mean?" Professor McKinley gets an odd look on her face.

"Well," Professor Zeithman starts. "You can't do that because they havent been spotted. The students are not having classes this week as a break from their tests."

"Yeah," Professor McKinley speaks very quietly. "Tests...."

I've wondered what my Electra would look like in use. Now I know.