Chapter 11

The dining hall is full of morning chatter. The morning light comes through the skylight at the top of ceiling. The light shines on the motto, Omne est verum. In my Latin studies, I have learned it means Everything is real. It's a very fitting motto.

"How could you?!" Vandailia asks Alice.

Alice looks confused. "What?" She says, putting a spoonful of cereal in her mouth.

"Why,when you have the options of having anything for breakfast, do you choose Froot Loops?" Vandailia says, gesturing to Alice's bowl full of multi-colored cereal.

I smile and listen to my friends argue as I eat my chocolate pancakes. I am glad Vandailia is acting more like herself since this morning. She was shaken up before her father came, but now she is normal.

Suddenly, Owen comes rushing over to our table. He appears to be in some sort of panic and his glasses are askew. "What are you doing here?!" Alice asks him. "I thought you were in the library."

"I was." He says, realigning his glasses. "But I heard something."

"What did you hear?" Alice asks him.

"The Mystic Protectors." Owen says. "They are on the move."

Alice coughs on her orange juice.

"Really?!" Vandailia asks him.

He looks to her. "Yeah, I heard the librarian and Professor McKinley talking."

"Who is the Mystic Protectors?" I ask,confused.

"They are like a type of cult ,almost." Owen says. "They are all human. They believe in exposing the truth about Electra."

"They found about Electra?" I say.

"More or less. They were told about the Electra by one of us. No one has been able to find out who the betrayor was. Now they are trying to find proof so they can expose us." He says.

"Proof?"

"Basically they want to kidnap an Electra and use them to expose all of us. Then it will basically be genocide." Vandailia says.

"Why don't the teachers tell us about this?" I ask.

"They like to pretend it doesn't exist." Isa says.

I look around at the whole table. Everyone looks deep in thought well, except for Isa who is deep in others thoughts. I think the teachers should at least tell us so we can be prepared.

"I know there has been recent rumors going around." Professor Gates says to us during Electra Competition. "The rumors about The Mystic Protectors have been going around. The other teachers do not want me to tell you this, but the rumors are indeed, true! I am telling you this so you can be prepared!" Professor Gates gestures around the room at the dummies stationed around the huge room. "Each of you gets a dummy. I want you to imagine it is a Mystic Protector. Do what you will. And, Grayson that one is yours." He points to a dummy in the corner. The walls and floor by it are covered by massive tarps.

"Go!" Professor Gates yells. Everyone runs over to their own dummy. All except for me, Isa, and Vandailia. Professor Gates comes over to us. "Isa you can just sit here and work on monitoring thoughts. Remember, in a situation, if you could read your enemy's thoughts you can find out how to defeat them." He says to her.

He comes over to me. "Your the new girl?"

"Yes." I say. "My Electra is the ability to persuade the mind."

"Really?" he says. "I thought that one was a myth."

"I beg to differ."

"Okay your's is tricky to practice." He looks around. "Practice it on people in the room. Ask their permission first and, don't do anything to harm them."

"Got it." I say plunging into the room. I see two wolves attacking a dummy near me. Ava is shining blinding light into the eyes of her dummy. Jenny, the girl who can levitate, is grabbing her dummy then flying up to the ceiling and dropping it.

I hear a voice beside me. "Watch this." I turn to see Grayson, looking perfect in a red t-shirt. He stands in front of his dummy, just at the edge of the tarp. He holds his hands up, palms facing the dummy. Grayson closes his eyes. "Stand back." He mutters. Then suddenly, flames pour from his hands, spraying toward the dummy. When the flames stop coming the dummy is ablaze in crackling fire. I turn around and see Professor Gates holding a fire extinguisher. Grayson mutters thanks and takes the fire extinguisher. He takes it and douses the flames. I cough on the smoke. "What was that?!"

"That," Grayson says after putting out the fire. "was my Electra. I am what is known as a Elementum Electra. Obviously mine is the most powerful."

"Oh really?How does it go against a Mentis?"

"It's better than a Mentis."

"Are you sure?"