Chapter 34

The next day, we go to Professor McKinley first thing to tell her about our discovery last night. Isa is still quite shaken. Alice is indifferent as always.

"I still don't understand why you had to drag me into this." Alice says, yawning.

I shoot her a look. "He's one of Zeithman's men. He's probably taught them to beat up baby pandas!"

"Oh yeah," Alice nods. "And you two suck in a fight."

Isa looks at Alice, mocking offense.

Alice shrugs. "Don't deny it. You need my skills."

At that time we reach the door of Professor McKinley's office. Isa hesitates, he hand held up to knock. I nod at her. Taking a deep breath, she knocks on the door. A moment later Professor McKinley opens the door. "Girls, what do you need?" She asks.

"We have something you might want to know." Isa begins. She tells Professor McKinley the whole thing, starting from when she woke up. Professor McKinley sits the whole time, her face expressionless.

"And you think this spy is an Invisi?" She asks, once Isa is done.

Isa nods. "Yes."

Professor McKinley huffs. "Well, thanks for telling me this. I will notify the staff and put them on alert." She turns to me. "Carly, it's obvious you are what Zeithman wants. If you see anything else tell me."

I nod, not knowing what else to do.

Suddenly the door to the office flys open. I start and turn around to see Isa's family. Isa looks at them confused. "Mum,Dad, I thought you left yesterday."

"There's a big problem in Gladstone." Her father says to Professor McKinley. Gladstone is the closest town here, and the only way to get to civilization. The town is a normal town of regs, the term Electra use to mean "regular people".

"What's the matter?" Our headmistress asks, taking a step toward the family. Noah is clutching on to his mother. The little boy looks so scared.

Isa's mother speaks up. "We were driving out of town and it was as if our car hit a wall at the town limits. Only there was nothing there."

Conor nods. "And the oddest thing was that the car's of regs just kept going through. We even tried to go through on foot. Nothing would work."

Noah tugs on his mothers leg. "What about my soccer game?"

"Aw, I'm sorry, sweetie. We might not be able to make it." She says, planting a kiss on the boy's head.

"What could this be?" Isa asks, turning to look at Professor McKinley.

Professor McKinley ponders. "I know there is an Electra where the person can set up invisible forcefeilds. They would have to be exceptionally powerful to be able to let regs out but not Electra."

"But who would do this?" Conor asks. "And why?"

"Zeithman." I say, looking up. "It is possible that Zeithman has a man with this Electra. Those men will do anything he asks them. I bet its him."

"Does that mean Zeithman and his gang are in Gladstone?" Alice asks.

I shrug. "I guess so."

"Try like this." Grayson says quietly, gently pulling my arm back as I hold my bow. "Now, aim and let go."

I aim and release the arrow, bringing my fingers to brush my cheek. The arrow streaks across the field to stick in the target. It's not close to the bullseye, but it's not on the very edge either. I smile and hug Grayson. "How do you so much about dangerous weapons?" I whisper, leaning my head on his shoulder.

He laughs. "Let's just say I had an abnormal education."

"Really?" I stand back to look at him. "What school did you go to?"

"I didn't." He says. "My parents homeschooled me. They didn't want me going to a school of regs."

I nod, studying him. "You do tend to stick out a bit." I laugh at him.