Chapter 2 : Drawn and Drowning

Dayu's POV

After a warm relaxing bath with the lavender oil my mom gave me, the fatigue from 2 hours trip to Beijing was gone. I felt energized and slightly nervous about the upcoming play tonight. I had always liked to perform since I was a kid. I had always known what my dream was, to be an actor. Then I got introduced to Chinese history. I got hooked.

I looked at the clock. It was already 4 p.m., I need to quickly got dressed. I picked my sky blue short sleeve button-up shirt and jeans, slipped my feet into my white sneakers. And I'm ready to go.

Qiu Shi was already waiting for me in the living room. The tv was on, but his eyes were fixated on his phone and he kept smiling as he texted someone.

"Hey, you ready? Let's go, I'll drive. It'll take us around 30 minutes." Our Apartment was actually really convenient, there's subway station nearby and also busses but my aunt's tea house was not in the city center, it will take us forever if we took the subway.

"ok let's go"

The traffic was ok, we got lucky it wasn't too packed yet. After 35 minutes drive, we arrived at my aunt's tea house. The tea house sat on stilts in the little artificial lake. It was as beautiful as I remembered. No. Even more beautiful. The façade was exquisite with its traditional Chinese design and vibrant colors of red and white. The pond has an abundance of fish and plants.

The beautiful tea house reached by zig-zag bridge. When I was small I asked my aunt why was the bridge zig-zag. She then told me about the ancient Chinese beliefs evil spirits travel in straight line and thus could not enter the pavilion. I guessed that was the very first time I got hooked with Chinese history.

As we entered the pavilion, my aunt immediately came to greet us. It was clear she has been waiting for us.

She hugged me and just softly called my name without saying anything for a while. I missed her too. Then she hugged Qiu Shi. My family knew Qiu Shi since he was my childhood friend.

Then Qiu Shi sat directly to the booked table and enjoyed his evening tea. All the good tables has been booked. It will be full tonight. On the other hand, my aunt and I walked to the backstage to prepare for the play and I also needed time to read the script.

Tonight play was "The Peach Blossom Fan"《桃花扇(Tao Hua Shan)》by the accomplished playwright Kong Sharen. I'll be the male lead, Hong Fangyu.

Qing's POV

"Can't we go watch the play tomorrow, gran? Today is such an exceptionally sunny evening. Ancient Chinese play is at its best on rainy day!" I tried to sound as logical as I could to coaxed her. It's not that I don't like to go with my grandma and my mom, but went to club with my friend was obviously a more interesting option.

"Pffftt.." I frowned as I heard my mom could not hold her laughter any longer.

"Why won't you accompany your old grandma? I'm already old and missing my one and only grandson so bad." She took one step backward and pretended to be limp and need support, which she got from my mother. They looked serious. My mother didn't even laugh anymore and my grandma still pretended wiping her tears. Where did she even get the handkerchief?

Great! I got to watch a play before a play. Just great.

"Okay I'll go with you. Just stop this drama right now."

Heard what I said, they immediately got their smile back on their face and walked away to the car as if nothing happened.

I sighed, but also smiled. "such drama queens." Then walked to my car and we were off to my Gran's fav tea house.

Around 50 minutes later, we were there. I didn't think the traffic would be that bad. Fortunately, we came on time right before the play started and besides Gran already booked the table. We sat on the front table, ordered some snacks and tea.

As the play started, Chinese traditional music can be heard throughout the pavilion. I read the flyer about this play. It's about the parting and reuniting of two lovers during the fall of the Ming Empire and the beginning of Qing Dynasty.

As the music flowed, the performer strolled to the middle of the stage wearing a royal blue robe with his long hair tied up with a same color band. He must be acted as Hou Fangyu, the male lead. His right hand was holding a fan. The fan covered half of his face, but I could see his eyes.

His beautiful big expressive pair of eyes. From this short distance I can also see his tearmole under his left eye. Never before I saw eyes this enchanting. I was drawn and drowning in his eyes.