Chapter 2

Chapter 2
"TAKE A LAP," Connor, the new Band Captain shouted. The circle of marching band members dispersed into one big group; everybody was running around the bus parking lot. We continued to run over the curb and the sidewalk to the drop off parking lot separating the bus parking lot and the drop off parking lot. We ran around the drop off parking lot and back around, and in front of the playground that was covered in green sheets to block out the view of the construction site. We ran over the small speed bump onto the sidewalk, and back into the bus parking lot. We continued to run forward towards the teacher parking lot, and then around the street light on the far side of the bus parking lot just before running into the teacher parking lot. Some of the band members started walking to their water jugs, but most of the band members kept running until they past the podium. We all took a water break. Well, at least I did. I took a water break, and everyone else also took a water break but after drinking out of their water jugs for a minute they talked to their buddies for the other four minutes out of the five. I sat far away from everyone else. Well, not exactly. I wasn't "far away," from "everyone." I was just, away from the chatter boxers. William was nearby let's say for he wasn't "right there next to me." He was nearby also taking his real water break, and everybody else was huddled around the tree in the shade with their water jugs. Talking and taking their water breaks. 'This is not what I was taught my freshman year,' I thought to myself. I was trying not to be rude or mean by remaining silent about it, and not talking about the so-called "issue," because this is my marching band family I'm talking about.
"Set up a block, six lines!" One of the new staff members; Mr. Harris shouted. Most of the juniors walked out to the bus parking lot they were still talking to their friends. William was one of the first people to start a line out there as well as several other seniors and some juniors. I got behind McKenzie who was next to William on one side, and Brandon was on the other side. "Come on, let's go!" Mr. Harris hit one of the drumsticks with a red block. Everyone else soon joined up with everyone else, choosing which line they want to be in but they all were walking together. "SET!" We went to set. "Relax. Don't be too early, and don't be too late either. Wait longer, move faster. SET!" I immediately went to set, maybe a beat or two before everyone else.  Because that's how I was taught my freshman year. I wasn't taught "wait longer move faster," what kind of demand is that? I think that the staff members are trying to make us into more of a much lazier band than I know. That phrase; it makes me feel like I should go to set in slow mode. I was taught snap reaction immediately! I was taught that, and I stick to that. Oh well, it looks like I'm just going to have to get used to that statement. "Four steps forward, four forward," he projected with his voice so everyone could hear. Mr. Harris gave us the tempo by hitting one drumstick on to the red block.