Chapter 20

Chapter 20
After school, we had rehearsal that night. But due to the middle school, we had to push rehearsal back. But that didn't stop Drew from starting a sectional back at his house before rehearsal.
"William won't be at sectionals today."
"Why?"
  "He said that there was a problem with his time schedule." "Well then, we're going to have to practice without him."
We started warming up. 'I still don't feel confident to play that baritone! There's no way I'm going to be able to play at rehearsal today. I have to fake it. I must keep doing what I've been doing, but I can't let them know about it. I must hide away the truth from them. I know I hate doing it, but I must. I can't trust my section leader! I must not trust him. He doesn't know what I'm going through in my life, and I must keep it a secret from him.'
"Jennifer, what's wrong? You've been acting very strangely for a couple of days now."
"Nothing is wrong, so why do you even care?"
  "Jennifer, we all are part of something much bigger than what the eye can see. We all are part of one section, one band, one team, and one very big family. We all care for one another because we all are part of this huge family, and it's everyone's jobs to look after one another to make sure that everyone is okay. So please don't lie to us. I know when something is wrong and when something is not right. So please tell me again; are you okay?"
I remained silent; not one word came out of my mouth.
"You really need just someone to talk to. Come on Jennifer, you can talk to me. So what's on your mind that seems to be bothering you?"
  I opened my mouth to say something, but not one word came out.
"Jennifer, you can't bottle everything inside forever."
'Oh, yes I can,' I thought.
"You know, I think I might have forgotten my baritone at my house. I'll see you at rehearsal tonight!"
  "Whoa now! The very last time I saw your baritone was last night at practice. Are you sure?"
"Oh no, it's totally back at my house. I'll run back to go get it!"
I sneaked out of the house as they continued their sectional. I just grabbed my bike and I rode back to the school. Then I parked my bike in the bike rack, and I locked it up. I knew that my baritone was truly at the school, but I had to lie and say that it was back at my house so I'd have more time to practice by myself. I hate to lie, but sometimes you got to do what you've got to do. As I entered the band room I saw Katherine and Savannah talking like good old friends."I hope we get first place," Katherine said. "I hope so too! I would love to go to the Trops," Savannah replied. 'Oh no! What has the marching band turned into? A competitive but lazy marching band; that's what! Is that all they truly care about?'
  I grabbed my baritone out of its case, and I played it. I warmed up, and practiced parts of the opener. I checked the time; it was close enough to rehearsal.
After rehearsal, I put my baritone away. Everyone else was putting their instruments away, but everyone was taking their instruments with them. But I pretended to put my instrument into the instrument room, but I couldn't exactly because William  followed me in the room. "Do you want a ride back to Drew's house," he asked. "No thanks, there's something I've got to do first," I lied. William then left the room, and met up with everyone else in the section to take home. I stayed behind and pretended I was going to Seven Eleven. I then rode back to Drew's house when William's truck was out of sight.
When I walked inside the house, I overheard Stephen talking about me. I just heard him say something about me. I then sneaked into the bathroom to ease drop.
  "Jennifer has been acting very weird. Like how come she's dedicated to the marching band, but not to us as a section?" "She must be having some tough times lately. You can't be too harsh on her." Brandon said reassuringly. "Yeah, but is she really that trustworthy? I bet she's been backstabbing us all this time. That traitor; I really do wish of evil things to happen to her. She deserves it big time!"
I gasped. 'No! They think of me as a traitor! Unworthy; it's like I really am unwanted.' I thought about running away. I opened the bathroom door, and I ran downstairs. I ran outside to my bike, and I ran faster with my bike. I heard Drew, William, and Brandon calling my name. 'Screw it! If they don't think I'm worthy enough; then I'll do them good!'