Chapter 32

Chapter 32
We joined the others inside in the arch. As always, I was next to William and Connor was on the other side of me. Connor played trumpet and berry saxophone in the marching band. We practiced the Opener again and again. Trying to master the short notes and the shaping of the piece, but it wasn't too long before we were sent to our own sections to practice as a section.
  "Oh, my! You're okay," Drew said surprised.
  "Yeah, why?"
"You had me worried there," he said.
  "You see? You really did scare us," William said.
"What, she didn't believe you?"
"I told her, but she didn't believe me," he said.
  "Well, that's prove for you."
We started sectionals. Every water break we got, I hid myself in the corner.
"Jennifer? Is there something you wish to talk about?"
  "No, why," I asked.
  "Well then, stop acting weird!"
  I ignored Drew.
  "That's an order! SET!"
  I went to set facing the wall. James chuckled a little bit.
  "Face me, and then go to set!"
I turned my body around, not moving my feet or legs. Everyone laughed.
  "You're not an owl," Drew said amusingly.
"You gotta admit thought; it's pretty funny," James interrupted Drew.
  "Alright, enough goofing off. SET!"
  I turned my whole body around and went to set; completely facing Drew this time.
  "Thank you. It's always good to have a good laugh every now and then, but let's get back to business. From the top," Drew said as he conducted the piece.
Measure by measure, note by note; they all seemed to just slip under my fingertips. I didn't dare blow through the instrument at all. I just held it up, and made it look like I knew what I was doing. But there was still fear clearly shown in my eyes.
Drew cut us off after fifteen measures or so.
"Jennifer, are you even playing?"
  I just had the look of shame in my eyes. 'I've been discovered,' I thought.