Chapter 22

Chapter 22
"You scared me! Don't ever do that again," Drew said loudly. I just stared at him sincerely. "Do you understand me?" I continued to stare at him. "ANSWER ME!" I nodded; my head shaking a little.
"Stephen, I think you owe someone an apology."
"Oh he's not sorry! I heard every word he said, and he has a point! He's not sorry!"
"You're making the situation worse Jennifer," Drew said in a concerned way.
  "Like I care!"
"You think he meant what he said?"
  "Yeah, she's right in a way. Yeah, I'm sorry I hurt her feelings, but I'm afraid that's just something that's out of my control. Jennifer is just too sensitive about the things that she overhears, and I have no control over that! I said what I said because I meant it, but I never meant to hurt her or cause her to run away."
  "Like you care! I betcha you'd do better without me. All of you would," I said, my voice raising a little.
"Jennifer, would you stop deluding yourself from the marching band family!?"
  "What family? That was two years ago! But I'm afraid that band just isn't the same," I said upsettingly.
"Jennifer; you know that's not true!"
  "Yes it is," I said as I fought the tears that were forming in my eyes.
"Jennifer  just stop!"
"NO! I WILL NOT STOP! Not until I'm fixed." I said calmingly. "But I'm not fixed. Not now at least," I added as I took my bike to the back of the house.
"William, make sure that she gets in the house and in the room please?"
"Why do I have to do everything," he asked jokingly.
  "Do you have a problem with that?"
William chuckled as he said; "No, I'll take her."
"Thank you, William."
"What did she mean by, 'what family,' what was she talking about," Drew asked in a concerned way.
"Maybe about the marching band family," Brandon said as the rest of the section came inside.
  "What is wrong with Jennifer?"
"I don't know, but now I'm getting worried about her," Brandon said worriedly.
  "Why worry? Jennifer is who she is. She's fine I bet," Stephen said as they walked inside. "No, I'm worried about her health. Her mental state of health. Does she ever talk to her father about issues in her life? Does she have at least someone to talk to? Does she have at least someone whom she feels she can at least trust?"
"I bet ya I know who she can trust," Stephen answered.                                                         "Who?"
"William! I see Jennifer with him all the time now," he said.
  "No way!"
  "Well, I remember like, a while ago she tried to stay away from him; no one knows why, but I bet ya they're like two best friends- maybe even love couples."
I was in the backyard looking up at the stars; there were a few of them, but it was still beautiful to see them at this time of night.                                                                                                  "Hey there. I'd thought I'd check to see if you're okay."
  "I'm fine," I said very softly.
"Do you want me to take that for you?"
  He was referring to my bike. I was still holding on to the handlebars with one of my hands.
"Yeah, you can put that away."
  I let William take my bike and park it at the side of the house. "So, did you have a bad day today?"
"We all have those days."
  "Oh. So you really think that the marching band isn't that much of a family anymore?"
  "It's not the same... I don't know if it's just me, or if something did change..."
"I feel you."
  "Wait, what," I asked looking from at the night sky to him.
"Like I said before, I feel your pain."
"But what happened?"
"The marching band is more lazy nowadays. But yet all I hear come out of their mouths is 'first place,' and 'championship.' I mean, it would be pretty cool, but do we really need all that gold?"
I then smiled a little at him.
  "Exactly what I was thinking."
He then smiled.
He cleared his throat; "do you want to head back inside? It's getting kind of chilly."
"Yes, I agree. It's nice out, but I don't like it when it's cold."
  We returned back inside, and I went to my room, and he went to his.
  "So, how did it go," Stephen asked.
"How did what go?"
"You know, you and Jennifer?"
"Okay; that's enough," William said defensively.
  "What?"
  "I'm just giving her emotional support, is that too much to ask for?"
  "I just thought," Stephen started, but he was cut off.
  "Thought what? That me and Jennifer are together? Well, we're not; okay? I'm not her boyfriend, and she's not my girlfriend! So just leave us alone!"
"Would you like for her to be your girlfriend," Stephen asked condescendingly.
"Eww! No! I'm just friends with her because she needs the emotional support, so just leave the two of us alone!"
'Okay; I was only asking you a question,' Stephen had a straight face on.
"Go!" Stephen walked out of William's room. "What was all that for," James asked.
"I don't know; Stephen's being Stephen."
"Jennifer?"
  Stephen knocked on the door.
  "Don't even bother coming in here!"
"I have a question, and I want to ask you privately."
  "Well okay, come on in."
  Stephen opened the door and he walked in.
"Hi, would you date William?"
"Why do you ask?"
"It's just a simple yes or no answer; would you date William?"
"Heck no! He's just and only a friend," I lied to get him off of my case.
"If you say so!"
Stephen walked out, and into his room.