Chapter 7

Chapter 7
"SET UP A BLOCK," Mr. Harris shouted.
We marched the block; working on dressing to the center and marching technique all sides. We slide forward and backwards, and marched forward and backwards. That's why we march the block; otherwise known as the 'box around,' because we march a full box around the practice field. I was behind William. 'Why? Just why,' I thought. 'Does it always have to be him? Why does it always have to be William? Can it be someone else? Please? I love you William as a brother, but that doesn't mean we always have to be together,' I added in my head. And actually, I wasn't so sure if I had 'feelings,' for this 'William.' I mean, sure we talk as friends. We are great friends, but it has never actually occurred to me that I actually might possibly like him. I like him as a friend, and I like the way that he supports me, but I never really actually thought of my own feelings towards him inside my heart. I forgot that I had one... I kind of just ignored my heart this whole time; thinking about how I could make it up to the marching band of my actions without letting Mr.Smith know himself. I didn't even know that I had feelings for William. 'Why me?  What's so special about me?'
We learned more drill sets for the Opener. I had to dress to William at one point in the Opener, but there's so many other lines that I had to dress to! There's William's diagonal line, and then Stephen's diagonal line (Stephen was behind me). I wasn't dressing to anyone in the front of me (because no one was there to dress to), and then there was the side line that 'should be easy to dress, but it's not,' line. Brandon was next to me on one side (by like a yardline away from me) and Nick was on the other side of me (also a yardline away from me). What was so frustrating was that whenever I try to dress to Haley's diagonal line (she was the same diagonal line as to Stephen, so I had to dress to her because I can't see Stephen when he's behind me), I wasn't dressing to William's diagonal line. But whenever I dress to William's diagonal line, I'm not dressing to Haley's line. That means that Stephen is wrong when he dresses to me because I usually dress to William. My eyes just naturally face towards William, and I dress to him. Haley is a bit far away from my eyes. I have to move my eyes to see her a little better to dress to her.
  "Jennifer, dress to me!"
  It was Drew; he was on the far side of the practice field in the same diagonal line as I was, but behind Stephen. It looked as if everyone else passed  Drew were already dressing to him. So I turned around, and adjusted myself so I was dressing to him. Drew lifted a thumbs up as if to say; "We're good!"