Chapter 10

Hermione currently stood in a room full of peculiar looking creatures that had long fingers and feet, dome shaped heads, pointy ears and nose. Despite her great exhaustion, she had to stay strong. She was tired and confused, but she had to stay strong for herself and Harry.

The little girl stood her ground as she watch the strange creatures interact with one another.

One in particular stood out from the rest. He held an air of superiority among the rest. From the way others behaved around him, she knew he was clearly their leader or Director more precisely hearing one of the other creatures named Griphook call him. They frequently switched their conversation from English and some strange language she could not decipher. She could only guess some of the words they were saying. One thing was clear to the little girl though, her presence was not welcomed warmly.

"Little girl, tell me your name."

Hermione was startled by surprise. She gulped as she realize that the leader of these strange creatures gave the question addressing to her.

"H-hermione. Hermione Granger." She answered in a stronger voice.

Ragnok smired in amusement adding to his menacing appearance. There were not many humans even goblins much less children who are manage to stand their ground in front of him. He was impressed by the young child's bravery.

"Where are your parents, child?" The old goblin asked.

"I-in London." She replied. The girl knew her answer may be a bit vague. But she had a feeling these peculiar creatures wouldn't have any clue if she ever mentioned the dental clinic her parents owned in Zyler's building at Oxford street. And judging by their ominous pointy teeth, the little girl doubted whether the creature would even know what a dental clinic was.

Few of the goblins along with the Director was taken aback from this newly given information from the little witch. They thought the girl would surely belong to one of the old purebloods families. Ragnok inspected the little girl's attire with his old wise eyes. From her long green shirt with unfamiliar patterns, pants cut below the girl's knees made from some strange blue material and lack of robes, he knew the girl was even not a part of any wizarding families.

"A muggleborn?"

The old goblin muse aloud his thoughts immediately regretting his foolish decision as it was received with a strong whiplash of outrage from the large crowd of goblins.

"That's impossible!"

"Preposterous!"

"This is ridiculous-"

Truly, the statement was of great absurdity. A little girl infiltrating one of the known strongest wards in the magical world was unbelievable enough. But for the said girl to be a muggleborn, it was unthinkable. Ragnok was well aware of this fact as well.

Hermione, however, was not. The little girl stood clueless what reason could ever cause such strong reaction from the audience. After a few moments, the little girl manage to gather enough courage to ask a question to the only person who seem to have his head above waters inside the room.

"What's a muggleborn?"

All the racket immediately ceased into dead silence. A person could almost hear it, if a metal pin dropped inside the room. Her question was enough to confirm the old goblin's suspicions.

"Muggles are those beings who are incapable of performing magic. A muggleborn is a firstborn witch or wizard in a non-magical 'muggle' family. And that-" The old goblin stopped walking in front the little girl.

"Would be you."

Billions of thoughts came rushing the little girl's mind. She was a witch. And a muggleborn at that. This was the first time a person confirmed what she really was. So she was a witch and Harry was a wizard. Hermione always believe that they were not the only one who can do special- ...magical things like Harry and her. The little girl always thought of the possibility of the existence of a magical world. Now, she stood in that very place somehow in captive of magical creatures.