Chapter 25

There was a reason why the older students had been placed at the farthest end of the house tables. They had been in Hogwarts long enough to grow tired of the same school traditions that was held every year. Watching the handful of students left to be sorted, their interest soon began to dwindle as they talk among themselves about how they had spent their summers in a low chatter.

Some of the older Hufflepuff amd Ravenclaw students took it upon themselves to converse about how they've been preparing for the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T exams this summer. While some of the Gryffindor and Slytherin students subtly boast about the places they travelled and spells they have mastered during this time. They had clapped along side with the underclassmen in their houses. However, it was clear their attention had been everything else but on the last remaining student to be sorted, who stood alone in front of the wide hall.

"Harry Potter."

The sound of bronze table plate hitting the floor echoed throughout the hall, when three nameless delinquents from Gryffindor who, out of their sheer boredom, had been playing swords with the cultrey set on their table dropped everything in their grips as the whole room, including themselves, drown in shock.

Judging from the sharp glance Professor McGonagall, the head of their house had sent them, they would soon face the consequences for their horseplay later. But no one at the moment could be bothered by the inevitable doom of the three nameless delinquents.

There was a deafening silence in the room. Every pair of eyes were suddenly on the tall, handsome eleven year old lad, who struggled to keep his impassive face as he marched towards the Sorting Hat. After he had sat down after which Professor McGonagall placed the hat on his head, loud murmurs begun to erupt.

All the rumours had been false. The articles written by the Daily Prophet were lies. The Boy-Who-Lived was still alive. But all whispering from the crowd of students ceased as the Deputy Headmistress turn to them with admonishing eyes.

'Don't mind them.'

The young raven haired wizard's eyes snapped back to his best friend. Staring back into the pair of familiar chocolate brown eyes had help him calm his nerves. He knew he'd be a lot more unsettled in his position if he had not been able to hear his best friend's clear thoughts. He was not alone.

"I thought there was something not right when I peeked into the little witch's head," the sentient hat said, surprised to hear the bushy brown haired witch's thoughts in his current wearer's mind.

Harry and Hermione's eyes both widened like saucers, hearing the voice of the Sorting Hat in their heads."Oh, don't be so surprise. You're not the only folks that can talk with other people with their head," the hat spoke yet again. "Ya' live in a world of magic. I usually don't bother chatting up youngsters like ya' these day. But ya' peeked my interest."

"Ya' humans have it easy with your arms and legs, able to take you wherever your hearts desire. While, I get stuck with nothing to do but collect dust on a manky shelf. Ever since my owner had passed, no one even bothers to take care of me. The current headmaster are just like the previous ones, too occupied with their life drama to even spare a minute of their time to talk to a pitiful hat like me"

"Peering into the heads of bratty kids every year is hard work too, ya' know. After a thousand years of service for those heartless gits, you'd think they show a little bit more appreciation for me around here. I got feelings too- "

Harry and Hermione were still in shocked as the sentient hat continued to pour out all his grievance in their mind. The bushy brown haired witch seemed to have gathered her bearing when the hat mention his owner, 'By your owner, do you mean Godric Gryffindor, one of the Hogwarts founders?'