1✨

Kentrell Gaulden

I opened the door to my spot, being hit by cool air.

"Why the fuck i's so cold?" Kd said as he stepped in.

"Kelldrick!"

"Sorry!" I walked in the door and rushed to the back.

"BAYYBBEEEEE!" My mama popped me upside the head, and I got no answer. I opened up my room door and saw hella shit sprawled over on the bed and floor. Hella shit that never left the house was gone. I pushed through the crowd of people and stumbled to where Brianna slept, and there were clothes and old toys everywhere. I felt my heart beating fast as I turned around slowly. I examined everybody's worried faces.

"She left."
*

Mariah Clemons 💫

Two Days Prior

One angry tear slipped down my face as I stared at the flat tombstone that was already caked in dirt from the storm the previous day. I clutched the rose in my hand, feeling the from the stem on my palm. Brianna squeezed my hand a little.

"It's okay, he's in Heaven now." I sighed, not wanting to lie to her—of course I wasn't going to tell the truth. I nodded stiffly.

Marcus Maxwell Williams Sr.
(1979-2017)
Beloved Father, Grandfather, Uncle, Brother

I was angry. Angry at him for not being a father to me at my most crucial years. Angry at him for making me feel bad for acknowledging my real father, who had stepped up and done more for me than the 13 years he was actually there and not playing dead. The only reason I was here, is because Brianna wanted to throw a rose on his grave. I heard her whispering, so I looked down at her quickly. She was praying. Right when I looked, she finished and placed the rose gently on the glass. I let mine go, feeling a gush of wind fly around us, making a soft whistle.

"Come on, Bri." I said, turning around and walking towards the car. Senior had arranged a will reading and my brother want me and Brianna to go oh so bad. When I pulled up, I sighed in relief when I saw one familiar red Corvette: Marcus. When I walked in, I braced myself for the hugs and kisses of people I haven't seen in years. I opened the door to loud chatter everywhere.

"—when I saw his ass on the news, I was like 'Damn, ghosts out hea killin niggas."

"—I asked Mama Anne did she know he was out hea and she really did not know." My Grandma was known to a lot of family and friends as 'Mama Anne'.

"Mariah? Is that you?" My fake ass great aunt Vicky Jean yelled from across the room. I sighed and smiled, waving.

"Hey..." I said.

"You had a BABY?" She asked, scrunching her face up in disapproval.

"No, and if i di—"

"She mine." Marcus stepped in, tapping my shoulder to stop me.

"Ohhh, Marcus! She so adorable, my baby a grown man now!" She pinched his cheek, making him chuckle and draw back a little as I mugged her.

"So, what are you doing here, Mariah?" She smiled warmly at me.

"What do you mean?" I give her a light fake chuckle.

"Well...after I heard that my nephew was actually dead, somebody else told me that he wasn't your real daddy..." I squinted at her, still fake smirking.

"So?"

"So, why would he leave something to you?"

"Look, Aunt Vicky—" I started before Marcus cut me off again.