Alternate Ending ✨

Omniscient 🌍

What would have happened to them in a not-so-perfect world?

The symptoms finally caught up to her. The nausea, the pain, the shortness of breath—all of it proved to be for a reason. A reason nobody wanted to face.

"We gone get you some good doctors, baby. They gon' take care of you, you gone be cured—" Kentrell tried to bargain with her, tears threatening to spill from his tired eyes.

"Its gonna kill me, Kentrell. No doctor can fix that." She cut him off with a whisper. She too, was sad, but she knew nothing would change it.

"Y-you gon' take the medicine?" He waited for her answer, heart threatening to beat out of his chest. She shook her head 'no'. He wanted to yell, he wanted to make her take it. He just wanted things to be normal again. He looked up at the doctor, clasping hands with Mariah. With pain filled eyes, he asked:

"How long—how long she got to live?" He braced himself for the worse as Mariah patted his hand for comfort.

"Six months." The doctor said. And for the next six months, that's what she did—

She lived.

She lived as if there was no diagnosis. She didn't go jumping out of planes, nor did she party every night. She walked with confidence. She took care of her daughter, niece, and Kentrell's sons like usual. The only change was communication.

She called her father twice a day. One time in the morning, and once at night. She called her siblings in the times between. She picked her niece up from school personally, and saw the gang and her friends almost everyday. She hugged and kissed her boyfriend every time she could.

One night, the gang and her friends were gathered at her house. This was the usual. But, Mariah wasn't feeling like her usual self.

"They spending the night?" She asked, masking the reaction to a painful pulsing in her stomach.

"I think, lemme see." Kentrell went out of the room and brought back the mass of friends. They all got comfortable in one spot and talked for hours. Mariah took in a sharp breath and looked around to make sure nobody noticed. After taking a pain pill or two, she pulled Mini close to her. She interlocked hands with Brianna, and Kentrell held her like he usually does.

The next morning, Kentrell was one of the last to wake, other than Kd, who was sleeping rather comfortably in the corner. He heard a clap noise in his ear, making him jump up.

"WAKE THAT ASS UP!" Ben yelled, making Kentrell look at him with a confused look. He laughed, then went over to Kd and did the same thing. Kd woke up and hit him with a nearby t shirt.

"Wake up, baby." Kentrell mumble, shaking her a little. Kendell scrunched his face up, walking over to help.

"Wake up, guh!" He shook her a little, too.

No response.

He put a shaky hand in front of her lips.

"S-she not breathin', Trell." Kendell's face warmed up, and his eyes ached. Kentrell sat with a dumb founded look.

"Call 911." The words came out so soft and shaky. Ben, who was shaken up as well, dialed the number.

That day, Jean waited for the call. He tried to shrug it off, but it itched at him until her contact popped up. He practically lunged for the phone, happy that he gets another chance to talk to his daughter. Instead, his worst nightmares were bluntly confirmed.

That day, Nadia and Nasir watched for her daily post. They checked Twitter and Instagram at least five times in five minutes. They blew her phone up, then finally calling Kentrell's phone. The news spread quickly.