One

~Lyric~

"Why are you even sitting with me?" I mutter to this mysterious boy. He sort of just sat next to me without a word, and he keeps taking glances at me.

"I, uh..." He stutters nervously, biting his lip.

"It's okay. I need friends anyways." I sigh, looking down at my food. My mom always packs me a ridiculous amount of food. I always throw out 98% of it. I take a small bite of my watermelon slice and stand up with my bag.

"Are you leaving already?" He asks me curiously.

"No, I'm just going to throw-"

"Throw away your food?" He cuts me off, grabbing my lunch bag. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I'm never hungry. My mom gets angry when I don't finish meals." I explain, trying to walk away. His grip stays latched onto my bag.

"When was the last time you finished a meal?" He asks.

"What's it to you, anyways?" I mutter, grabbing his wrist and yanking it off my lunch bag.

"Well, you aren't starving yourself, are you?" He asks me, putting his hand back on my bag.

"Why should you care?" I almost hiss, rolling my eyes and trying to pull away. I look at him, fed up. "Let go."

"No. You've got to eat." He says to me. "The same thing can't happen twice."

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

He frowns; pauses. He stares at me for a good few seconds, then let's go of my lunch bag, running out of the room. Was it something I said?

"Wait!" I yell, running after him. I hear the lunch room grow quiet, my feet pattering louder than necessary.

I find him crouched on the bench around the corner, right near the windows. He looks out them, his eyes glistening as if he is attempting to fight back tears.

"I'm sorry..." He mutters.

"For what?" I ask him.

"I'm sorry... I'm such a weirdo. I'm probably ruining whatever reputation you probably had at this school. 'Oh wow, that pretty girl is sitting with the new nerd? Haha, like he's gonna fit in.' That's just how it is, and I'm sorry." He cries, shoving his face to his knees.

"You don't need to be sorry. I have no reputation here anyways." I sigh, sitting down beside him. "You sitting with me might actually boost it since I'm friendless."

"How could you, of all people, be friendless?" He asks, looking at me. "You're too pretty. I mean, I never seen anyone with such pretty red hair. The colour reminds me of Ariana Grande's, only your style is much more unique to make it look so much more dashing on you, and- oh! I'm just rambling." He covers his face in embarrassment as I try to conceal a blush.

"Wow... Thank you!" I exclaim, trying to get over the compliment. It sounds crazy, but I haven't been complimented by anyone here in 12 years. Considering I'm 18, that means I haven't been complimented since I was 6. Before I had gotten diagnosed with DID.

"Oh dear lord, I'm complimenting such a pretty girl, and I don't even know your name yet!" He almost shouts, covering his face yet again. "My name is Casper."

"That's a cute name." I grin softly. "My name is Lyric. But my names sometime depend on my mind."

"What do you mean?" Casper asks, looking up at me.

I sigh heavily. Might as well tell him before he settles on being my friend.

"I have-"

"Lyric!" Mrs. Kostwell, the guidance councilor, cuts me off. "Are you finally making new friends?"