Twenty-Eight

~Lyric~

After we dropped Damon off from leaving, Casper allowed Zoë to go home. He said he needed to do something he hasn't done in a long time. Though I was confused as to why I was coming with him, I stayed in the back seat and watched the rural scenery go by. Wherever he was going wasn't in the city, so I had no idea what was going on.

We drove for maybe an hour in the eastern direction. Casper began to suddenly turn onto a dirt road heading towards a cute little farm. I was slightly confused as he drove, especially when he pulled to a stop in front of the farm and got out of the car. Cautiously and perplexed, I get out of the car, following him to the door of the small and recherché farmhouse.

When reaching the door, Casper gave a raspy knock with a gentle shake in his hand, signalling he was nervous and unsure with what he was doing. He kept a fatigue smile on his face, his mouth curved with a seemingly shaky effort, as if he was having difficulty holding his expression.

A lanky women with auburn hair tucked in a bonnet and a completely natural face shows up at the door. Her face softly brightens at the sight of Casper, though pain is stricken in her Carolina Blue eyes almost unnoticeably. Her thin lips part slightly as she is debating what to say, then she looks in my direction. Our eyes meet for a split second, though her expression stays mutual.

"Casper," she says with slight joy in her voice. "What a pleasant and unexpected surprise!" She turns her gaze back to me. "Who's your friend?"

"Bonney, this is my friend Lyric Rodetelli." Casper says, his face softening with relief.

"Hello madam," I say, outstretching an arm for a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Lyric." Bonney says as she firmly grasps my hand and shakes it in a slightly harsh manner. She wears a long scarlet skirt and a purple apron, her hair falling out of her bonnet as if she was working before we came. "Has Casper told you who I am or has he kept it as a secret like he always does?"

"I'm afraid the latter." I laugh, and she gives a soft chuckle before talking.

"Well I'm Bonney, Morea's mother. Has he told you about Morea?" She asks, and Casper begins to look slightly uncomfortable. Morea...

Wait, he took me to his dead ex-girlfriend's parents house?

"Yeah, I know about Morea." I sigh solemnly to show respect. Bonney's expression drops at my tone.

"It's not a very pleasant thing to talk about." Bonney sighs. "Anyways, would you like to come in? Lacey and Quinn miss seeing you around the house, Casper."

"Where are they anyways? I haven't seen Lacey since she was a toddler." Casper chuckles.

"Well come in, take your shoes off! Quinn might be studying, he's a big boy in middle school now." Bonney laughs as Casper and I enter the house.

"Casper?" A little girls voice echoes in the house, footsteps following shortly after. A small little girl seemingly at the age of five or six runs into the room, her curly blonde hair in pigtails, overalls over her periwinkle shirt. She spots Casper and basically jumps into his arms happily. Casper's face brightens at the sight of her, and he laughs and catches her when she jumps. He spins her around a couple times in his arms before putting her down, the girls high shrieks coming out of her small mouth as he does so.

"You've gotten super big since I've seen you last!" He exclaims.

"I'm six now!" She giggles. "Why haven't you visited lots anymore?"

"I moved into the big city." Casper tells her.

"Awh, you don't go to the city nearby anymore?" She looks at him.