Seventeen

~Casper~

I didn't let Lyric come to my house. I couldn't. Ever since aunt Rose gave birth to the most 'precious little girl on the face of this earth', my mom became a complete asshat to me. She gave me a huge lecture on how she didn't want me to be negative around sweet baby Gabriella. She didn't want the baby influenced into bad thoughts at a young age.

She didn't want her to catch what I had.

As if I was a disease, she had me take my SSRI's before I was able to approach Gabriella. I stayed locked in my room more than I ever had before because I didn't want to hear aunt Rose telling me that her baby could be a depressed girl. I spent most of my time flipping through pictures of Morea on my phone, attempting to pretend she was still alive. That, or I'd hang out with Lyric, for she seems like my only escape.

Lyric is nothing like Morea. Morea had no mental illness. She had short blond hair and stunning eyes that looked like a shade of marvellous indigo. She wasn't skinny, but she wasn't fat. She had the average weight. She was tall, just an inch or two shorter than me. Her personality could brighten up an entire room.

She's gone now.

Lyric, on the other hand, came into my life with such a powerful force. She is skinny, almost as skinny as me, which says quite a bit. Her long, red hair is completely stunning, and her eyes are as blue as the Gulf of Mexico. She's pale, but not too pale. Quiet, but not too quiet. Though she doesn't remind me of Morea, she's a place to start. She is beautiful after all.

After Lyric caught me on my phone reading Morea's messages, I found myself reading her texts instead when MHC finished and after school the next day, which she didn't attend. As well, I had the urge to watch the tape my mom had wanted to throw out. The last existing tape of Katherine.

I brought myself to put the tape in last night. Katherine was three, waddling around like the cutest little toddler ever. Me, being nine at the time, lowered myself and gave her a hug. I could see the pain in my own eyes. My dad had died over a year ago at that point, but you could tell I never forgave myself, nor will I ever.

"Caspah!" She squealed, grabbing me happily. "Pay catch!"

She had let go of me and grabbed a ball off the grass. She threw it at me and I caught it. I lightly tossed it back and she giggled at me.

"You playing nicely with your brother?" My mom asked.

"Yeah!" She squealed as she tossed it to me. I tossed it back and she dropped it, then ran to me. I lifted her up and she started screaming happily as I spun her. She brought so much happiness into my life. Why did she have to be taken? Why?!

Katherine was kidnapped the next month. My mom was doing paperwork inside as Katherine and I played in the front yard. A man had came up and punched me hard. I heard screaming from Katherine before I blacked out. The last thing I remember her shout was "Caspah, pwease hep me!" I didn't have the strength to pull my body up. I just remember waking up in my bed with my mom sobbing beside me. I asked her what happened and she said the man stole Katherine. It was the last time I ever saw her. I think she's the only person I miss more than Morea and my dad.

All these incidents in a row had lead to me getting PTSD. I inform certain people about my MDD when it's needed, but my PTSD stays between my mom, my psychiatrist and I.

I hadn't prepared myself for going to that party thing that Lyric and I are supposed to go to in half an hour. I don't really want to go in all honesty, but Lyric hasn't been to a party before so I think she deserves it. Besides, we're having prom and graduating in a few weeks, so she wouldn't get the chance to go to a high school party again.

"Casper, êtes-vous prêt?" Zoë shouts.

"Oui!" I shout. In all honesty, there was nothing to really prepare. I was throwing on a decent-looking blue button-up shirt and black skinny jeans. I have simple black Vans and my typical grey beanie on. I run downstairs, meeting up with Zoë, my mom, and little Snowball.

"Don't forget." My mom says, handing me a rose. "We never pick a lady up for a social event without having her receive...?"

"A daisy for leisure, a red rose for social, a white rose for formals." I practically recite. "Unless the red rose goes better with her dress, which almost always happens. I get it mom."

"Now quick." She says, reaching to the table, handing me a glass and a pill. "Can't risk having a public-"

"Whatever." I say, popping the pill in my mouth and downing it with the water. "I shouldn't be down at a party. They're my friends."

"You never know." My mom sighs.

"Bri wants to say bye!" Aunt Rose says as she approaches, smiling. Gabriella reaches for me, and I take her out of aunt Rose's arm and give Gabriella a kiss on the forehead. She rests her head on my shoulder. I rarely see her, but she's completely attached to me when I do. She may be only a couple weeks old, but she's maturing quite a lot already.

"Bye baby." I say to her, then hand her back to aunt Rose. She lets out a soft cry, and I can see aunt Rose feeling slightly offended by her own baby.

"Alright, bye Casper." She says to me suddenly, and I nod as Zoë opens the door.

"Bye Snow!" I kneel down and pet Snowballs head, who gives me a few licks on the hand.

"Have fun sweetie!" My mom shouts as I walk out the door. I wave over my shoulder to her as Zoë closes the door.

The few minutes the car ride takes to reach Lyrics house went by fast. We arrive at her house in no time.

When the door opens, the sight I see shocks me. Lyric stands there in a purple crop top and really short turquoise-green shorts, making her look like a skimpy Ariel. Skimpy Ariel...

"Ayyye Casper!" She squeals. "Are you ready to have some fun?!"

Oh great.

I get to spend the night with Cecilia.