Four

~Lyric~

Classes went by fast as always, having Meg do basically everything once I reached my bored point. Due to the amnesia spur I get every time an alter is out, most of my day at school is a blur. With my spurs of amnesia while every alter is out, most of my life goes by rather fast. I guess it just quickens my life, which is a good thing in my opinion.

My walk home was quiet and peaceful like always. I don't walk home with anyone, due to the fact that nobody wants to walk home with a girl who has a mental illness as weird as mine, right?

I walked into the house, and I was welcomed by the cheery voice of my mother in the kitchen. Beside her stood her girlfriend, Maria.

"Lyric! Great to see you're home. How was school today?" She asks.

"Really good. Fast as always. I met a friend at lunch today." I say with a smile, and my moms face brightens.

"Ooh, what's their name?" She asks excitedly.

"His name is Casper. He's really friendly. He's gonna be at MHC tonight." I tell her.

"Oh, really?" She says, her mood sounding a bit flat, but not as terribly as it could be. "What's his illness? Schizophrenia? Downs Syndrome?"

"MDD." I say. "Rosalyn has it."

"Oh, it's the one that makes you feel upset?" Maria asks.

"Yeah. A type of depression." I say.

"There's multiple types?" My mom asks curiously.

"Yeah, lots of them." I say. "Bipolar disorder? Type of depression. It's fascinating." I laugh at my nerdy statements.

"Well of course you'd know those things." Maria laughs. "You think Meg has the MDD thing, right?"

"Yeah. I just wish she'd come out during therapy." I mutter. "Next appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully she'll switch during it. Micah likes to go out instead."

"Of course he does." My mom laughs. "He's great. It's like having a young child who never grows up."

"That's pretty much how he is. Only he's like the little brother of my mind family." I say, tapping my head.

"Mind family. Of course." Maria laughs.

"Psh, is there a problem?" I ask. "In-mind prison-mates gets mean sometimes."

"Hush, I'm not accusing you." Maria smirks.

"Who knows. I might need Endora out to yell at you if that's the case." I smirk.

*"I heard that." Endora scolds with a laugh. "Maybe I will come out. I know how much you hate me anyways."

"You can come out if you feel like it." I explain. "I'm in a good mood."

"Nah. I'm too lazy to take over today." Endora laughs."

"Have it your way then." I state.*

"Lyric, you okay?" Maria asks.

"She was probably fighting back an alter." My mom laughs.

"Endora." I smirk. "Your favourite."

"Lovely." Maria rolls her eyes. "If you're gonna switch, let someone pleasant switch out. Like Micah."

"I can't force them, jeez." I laugh.

"Shhh, it never hurts to try." Maria winks.

"It could. I'm not risking it." I snicker.

"Whatevaaaaah." Maria smiles as she does the 'talk-to-the-hand' gesture.

"Don't influence her, sweetie." My mom smiles.

"Sorry. She's just great to talk to and tease." Maria laughs.

Maria fixes her long blonde hair as she looks towards my mom, who has her curly brown hair up in a ponytail. If you hadn't gotten the hint when I said 'girlfriend', Maria is my moms 'Domestic Partner'. They've been together for over a year. I like them much better than my father.

My mom, Hailey, adopted me after my father was sentenced to life in jail, back when I was 12. My biological mom died when I was 5 in a car crash. My dad really was never the same again. He was always grumpy, and I do remember he would sometimes hit me a few times. I was very unclear on what happened exactly, because Micah used to apparently show up during some things. I just never knew, I guess.

I walk into the living room and sit down next to Maria, whom gives me a warm smile. I put my backpack beside me and cross my legs. There are a few seconds of silence before anyone speaks.

"So..." My mom starts. "When will I be able to meet this Casper boy?"

"You may meet him tonight, I dunno. Depends when he leaves or shows up I guess." I explain to her.

"Maybe sometime this week you can invite him over." Maria smiles. "Has he met any of your alters?"

"Yeah, Cecilia." I laugh, and my mom covers her mouth in either surprise or concealed laughter.

"Oh dear..." She trails off in slight shock.

"She didn't do anything bad..." I trail off in return with a smile. "He met Micah too."

"Oh Micah." Maria smiles. "He must've been killed by the adorableness."

"More like killed with laughter." I smile. "He didn't know about the alters when Micah came out. He thought I was just being weird and stuff."

"Of course." My mom sighs with a giggle. "It's just great to know you're finally making a friend."

A friend. The one thing I never thought I'd ever really have again that isn't from the self pity of their heart or that I've met through MHC.

A friend.