Twenty-Seven

~Lyric~

Damon skipped with us the next day, though it wasn't technically skipping. We were given the day off to recover from the incident. Zoë drove us to where Casper's cabin must be. Damon spent the rest of the time at my house after we left the hospital. We phoned Casper at about 7:30AM to tell him. He broke down over the phone. About half an hour after we got off of the phone with him, he picked us up for his cabin. He told me to wear a bathing suit underneath my clothes, so I guess it's near a lake. He told Damon he'd provide for him. I don't have any of my own, so I had no other choice but to grab Cecilia's least-revealing swimsuit from her drawer: a lavender, strapless top with pretty regular lavender bottoms.

Our ride was decently quiet. We talked a bit, mostly about Roslyn though. Nobody could really believe it.

"I don't know how I'm going to be able to go back to school knowing one of my best friends aren't with me anymore." Damon sighs. "How did I just not see that she liked me?"

"Love is blind," I sigh.

"But true love can see fine." Casper suddenly adds, and I look at him curiously. "Sometimes you don't realize you're seeing it blindly until you put on your glasses. You should know that," Casper smirks as he takes off my glasses. "Blind," he then puts them on again. "And fine." He smirks at me.

"Seems like I wasn't wearing my glasses properly," Damon sighs.

"Nah, you were just testing the lenses when a good pair came as an option." Casper tells him. "Another good pair will come along for you soon, don't worry."

"But I was her good pair!" Damon shouts in frustration. "And it was like I kept telling her that they weren't fitting right and that she didn't look good with them on. I was the blind one; the idiot! I'm an asshole and she might have still been here if I just took the damn glasses sitting right in front of me. She was there and I wasn't. Why couldn't I have liked her back?"

"Damon, you can't force feelings for someone. It's not your fault." I tell him. "Just because you didn't have feelings for her doesn't mean that was the main cause of her death. To be honest, it was you who always kept her smiling. Nobody could make her smile like you could. She loved being with you and spending time with you. If anything, you were the reason she stayed so long."

"We're here." Zoë suddenly says as she pulls up to a forest area. I look at Casper curiously and he smirks.

"You don't think my cabin is in the middle of the forest, do you?" Casper laughs. "We've gotta walk for a few minutes to get to the lake and then walk along the shore."

"Makes sense." I smirk.

We walk down a path through all the trees, shrubs, and all those fun forest things. We finally reach the lake shore, which we then turn and begin walking to some old rickety cabin.

"Meg probably didn't explain this part either," Casper laughs. "This cabin isn't my family's cabin, it's an abandoned one I like hanging out at during this time of year. Zoë usually comes with me because I'm not allowed to be alone and stuff, but I don't mind Zoë."

We reach the cabin and walk through the open door. Casper goes into Zoë's bag and pulls out a bathing suit, tossing it to Damon.

"Just change wherever, we won't look." Casper laughs, and Damon nods. It's weird to see Casper cheery at a time like this. I'm usually used to Damon being cheery, but since what happened to him was extremely personal, he wasn't taking it well. Usually he would keep his happy self here, for boys are pretty good at hiding their pessimism. At least, I know Damon and Casper are.

When Damon finishes, Casper leads us out and we begin walking along the shoreline. We walk for quite a while in silence until we reach a huge rock. It looks like it would be cool to sit on, so maybe that's why Casper dragged us out here.