I'm Not Ready

Jack woke up the next morning, huddled in some blankets on a comfy bed. He glanced around to see he was alone in the room. He deflated in the bed, before throwing the covers off of him and sitting up. He hated waking up alone. When he was with the guardians he would wake up with a bunny so desperately trying to do something horrendous to him. Now he woke up alone with the bed beside him feeling cold.... Or colder than usual considering.

  Jack stood up and walked towards the door and down the hall. Registering that the hall was dark and the nightmares seemed riled up more than they normally were. Jack got a bad feeling about this.

  He continued down the hallway and into the kitchen, noticing it looked the same as yesterday. So why was it so...weird to wake up like this?

  Jack took a seat at the kitchen table, before turning his attention to the barrier which was now back in place. Jack hmmed, looking down at Onix who was looking just as unsure as him.

  "Do you know something, girl?" He asked, putting on a pout.

  Onix neighed, shaking her head as if almost offended. Jack rolled his eyes deciding to give up as his thoughts went to last night, making a blush appear on his face.

  He actually couldn't believe that happened. Not only was he watching the lights with Pitch, but he felt complete in doing so. Ugh! He just couldn't contain the inner fanboy squealing at the perfect night last night.

  He heard some commotion above him and he stood up from the table, walking over to the barrier, peaking up at the entrance to see the bottom of a hairy rabbit foot.

  Jack gasped, before covering his mouth. He didn't know why he didn't just scream for help. Probably because he didn't want to leave this place behind. Jack bent down as if crouching would hide him. He turned to Onix and sent a begging look her way.

   "Where is a good hiding place?!" Jack asked her in a strained whisper.

  Onix perked up and jumped down from the table before walking towards the hallway. Jack followed, and saw Onix turn into a dark room that seemed to be the perfect hiding spot. Jack heard the barrier behind him sizzle away and Jack cursed before quickly jumping into the darkness. It was then that he realized this pocket of darkness was a bunch of nightmare sand that seemed to hide him perfectly. He was just glad he could see through it. Thanks to Pitch.

  Jack turned around, trying his hardest to look down the hallway to see Bunny, North, Tooth and Sandy standing in the kitchen. Pitch was nowhere to be seen and Jack couldn't tell if that was a good sign or a bad sign.

  "Tear the place apart. Jack has to be 'ere." Bunny said, before throwing the table.

  Jack covered his mouth, before lowering himself into a squat position, begging and pleading with the moon that he isn't found out. Jack closed his eyes, hearing things being broken and slammed around the room. It wasn't until he heard the flops that Bunnys feet make walk past him that he opened his eyes, looking up to see Bunnys face contorted into worry.

  Jack felt his heart ache, but he wasnt ready to go back with them. Not just yet anyways. He saw the others walk past him. He saw Sandy stop before looking at the pocket of darkness. Jack's heart and stomach both leaped into his throat as he watched in horror as Sandy examined the pocket.

  Something slammed down in the kitchen, catching their attention as they ran the opposite way.

  "It's Nightmare Sand! Follow the trail!" Tooth exclaimed.

  He heard footsteps retreating out of the hideout before there was silence again. He physically deflated against the wall, looking over to see Onix coming in front of the pocket of darkness with a smug look on her face.

  Jack smiled. "Clever girl." He whispered.

  He waited there a little longer, before readying himself to come out. That courage didn't last long though when he heard more footsteps enter the kitchen. He sank back down, a hand back over his mouth.

  He heard a gasp, then someone's footsteps panicking-ly walking around the kitchen. "Jack?!" He heard.

  Jack nearly felt his heart leap with happiness hearing Pitch's voice coming down the hallway. "Jack where are you?!"

  Jack stood up, his legs feeling shakey from staying in the crouching position for so long as well as the fear of getting caught. He stepped out of the shadow, looking over to see Pitch standing in the doorway of the Kitchen, his face looking foreign to Jack as it was filled with genuine worry.

  Pitch released a relieved sigh and Jack couldn't help a few tears escape his eyes as he ran to Pitch, hugging him. "Jack, I thought something awful went down. What happened here?" He asked, his voice soothing.

  Jack felt Pitch's hand run through his hair as if to calm him down. "The guardians showed up. I got scared that they would take me so I hid.... I... wasn't ready to leave." Jack admitted. Saying it out loud made him blush through the tears.

  Pitch snorted softly, before hugging tighter. "I dont know wether to be thankful or surprised you didnt jump at the chance to be rescued." Pitch explained.

  Jack looked up at him, rubbing his eyes, before smiling. "Be thankful. I chose you instead of the guardians. That is a big honor."

  Pitch sent him a side smile, before grabbing Jack's shoulders and shoving him away slightly. "What shall we do now?" Pitch asked.

  Jack stepped away, rubbing his eyes as he looked around, seeing some broken glass and furniture all over the place. Jack chewed the inside of his lips, before coming up with an idea.

  "Let's move. They will be back, so we should take this time to move." Jack made a bold move and grabbed a hold of Pitch's hand, intertwining their fingers. "We can find a place that is ours. Like you said, mix our powers together and you get something beautiful." Jack explained.

  Pitch looked over at him shocked, before resting a tired smile on his face. "I would like that. We can build our own place. Where would we put it though?" Pitch asked.

  Jack smiled. "Don't worry, I have an idea. Let's get packing." Jack said, before dragging Pitch behind him to the bedroom to pack.

A/N: sorry for the very late update, but here ya are!!! Hope you enjoy!!!