Chapter 21

Sorry for the long absence! A few birthdays and Canadian Thanksgiving took up almost every weekend. It's almost getting to the point of death threats if I don't get this chapter out soon! LOL... Also... this chapter is for all the kind peeps that drop me a line after every chapter! (And also for the peeps who do not!)

Chapter 21

Ana POV

I leave Flynn's office and barrel down the hall and exit through the closest door. I don't care if it is not the closest one to the street; I don't need nosy teachers seeing me flee the school grounds. I make my way to the bus stop near the school. C'mon, c'mon... hurry...

I toss my bag on the damp grass. The sky is dark and churlish like an old lady. Here am I hoping that the rain holds off... I take my phone out and wish for the first time that it had internet. Most phones nowadays are smartphones, so I'm surprised that Ray was able to find this one. I power it on and the ringer alert is sounding off several messages that are arriving.

12:20pm

Where are you?

K.

12:30pm

C'mon Ana. Where did you go?

K.

12:50pm

Class is almost starting. Come find me.

K.

1:11pm

Ana, we're worried. Kate is looking for you.

José

1:35pm

Ana. This is getting old. I said sorry. What else can I do to prove it to you?

José

I scroll through the voice messages. Wow. Twelve missed messages from last night and today. Hmm... you'd think that I'd remember to check those yesterday.

"You're popular today," a voice calls from behind me. Fearing it's someone from the school I pull my hood up and tuck my hair in. I slowly turn and get ready to brace myself from possibly being outed for skipping the rest of school, but relax as the voice belongs to a young lady with a small child in tow.

"Hardly," I reply. I pull my hood down. The air is heavy with mist and I see the vapour droplets cling to my eyelashes. I push the hair from my face but I can't take my eyes off the child. He is about four and has an unruly shock of copper hair tucked inside the hood of his red raincoat. He pushes his glasses back up the bridge of his nose. He has beautiful gray eyes; both alert and expressive. He scans up and down the street before his eyes rest upon me.

"Hello lady!" the little one chirped.

"Hello, young man, what is your name?" I smile as his face beams. He turns and looks up to his mom who nods her head, giving him permission to chat with me.

"I'm Callum. I'm four. Is that your school? That's a big school. I don't go to school. My mom says next year when I'm a big boy I get to go to the big boy school." He stops to catch his breath.

I am surprised with Callum. He is a well mannered youngster, albeit excitable and speaking a mile a minute! I am surprised that his little lungs can hold that much oxygen to speak as long as he did. He holds his mom's hand with one and his plastic dinosaur with the other. He rests one foot behind the other as he swings from side to side.