Chapter 24

**drops the chapter in the bin and slinks back into the shadows...**

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

CH24

Christian POV

"You never really did answer my question earlier," Grace says as she leans back in her chair and rubs her neck. She looks exhausted and the earlier drama seems to have added to her stress. Locks of her dark brown hair escapes its bun and curls around her cheek.

"Which question was that?" I am surprised after the drama of the strange woman and her kid showing up and freaking Ana out enough to make her run that this is the first question she asks me when we're now alone. "I thought you'd be more curious about our recent guests."

"Nice try, sweetie, but no, after the shock of thinking you had a love child; the look in the little one's eyes told me all I needed to know."

"Are you going to tell me who Ana is and how serious is it between you. Now before you get up in arms I mean you no judgements; I just want to know. Ana seems like a sweet girl, albeit maybe a bit young."

"Aren't I a bit too old to have this conversation with you?" I hedge. I smirk and try to laugh off her comment, but she keeps her gaze.

"Don't get me wrong; I am so glad you may have found someone. You have been alone so long and at your age I hoped that you would have settled down by now, maybe having a family."

I looked at her far away gaze and for a split second remembered my recent dream. I had a wife and two children. Waking up to reality was a punch to my gut and I felt my alternate life was ripped from me. Another image seeps into my mind, one much darker-but based in true reality is of me, wrists and eyes bound tight with silk scarves. This is when I thought I was not alone... I mentally cringe and draw a breath. "I thought you weren't a traditionalist, Mother. Women do not have to marry and have children in today's day and age."

Grace was affronted. "It's not traditionalism; it's always what a mother wants from her child – to be happy and to find his other half. And if this means starting a family, then be it." She laughs and I see her teasing smile.

I try to sway focus. "What about Elliot? What are your grand designs for his love life?" I know it's a shot in the dark, but this will not distract her.

"You know as well as I do that your older brother has too many wild oats to sow before he is mature enough to settle down. Between you and me—and I will deny this if you ever tell him— Elliot is still a big kid and needs to gain more responsibility. Maybe he should start with a puppy." Grace chuckles at her own joke. "As for Mia I want her to finish university before getting too serious with anyone."

I know I can't shake her off this conversation. Maybe it is the meds or maybe it's the fatigue. I relent. "I'm extremely tired, but I know you are not going to stop with this questioning. Just please keep an open mind." I take a deep breath. "Okay, Ana is a student at my school. She's one of my students." I see Grace's startled look. "This – this right here is why I didn't want to have this conversation now. I would have told you eventually, but the time is not right." An ugly half-hearted laugh escapes. "You've seen Ana. She bolted out of here. I asked her to be with me but I feel she doesn't trust me and there are things in the way." I throw by back against my pillow. I feel like a kid having a tantrum. "I barely just got her and I think I lost her, Mom."

"I don't know what to say to you, son. This whole day seems to have caught us both my surprise. We will talk more about this later so I'll leave you to your thoughts. I am so sorry that I'm meddling but I can't just help being your mom. You know I love you and worry about you, no matter how old you are." She leans in and pulls my hand away from my chest. "But I don't think you lost Ana, honey. I saw how she looked at you. Even when she ran I saw her heart. I know she'll come around." Grace stands and gives me a kiss on my forehead and quietly leaves the room, gently closing the door behind her.