Chapter 30

A/N: Hi folks! Sorry real life has immobilized me. I know it has been roughly six months since the last chapter. I can only apologize for not posting sooner... But I can say that the likes and follows do push me to keep writing when I feel like I can't! Thanks to you who take time to comment after each post. **Hearts and Flowers**

Chapter 30

Christian POV

The nurse came with the dinner tray and I see Ana glancing at her watch. The few hours she has been here flew by so quickly.

"I should get going and let you eat in peace," Ana says passively as I take the lid off the tray. Mentally I smirk knowing that she doesn't sound like she truly wants to leave. I like this. A lot... I groan at the tray before me. I'm still eating a diet of pureed foods: mashed potato, chicken, Jello, and tea. Hardly appetizing.

Ana stands to grab her bag. "Please, please don't go," I beg. She can't go. Not yet.

Ana sighs and nods at my tray. "Okay, How about I head down to the cafeteria to get something to eat while you have this... fine looking meal, and I will be back as soon as I can."

Her words conciliate me. Even thought I know she must be hungry by now I am greedy for making her stay.

Ana POV

I head to the elevators and press the button. I open my phone and read the text messages. All but one was from Kate.

Where are you!?

Called your house. Your dad answered. He sounded mad.

I can't find José either. Are you together?

Call me as soon as you can.

And one from Ray:

I think it best you come home. Now.

I flip the phone closed and enter the elevator, filling in the space the other passengers cleared for me. I stretch and roll my head and stare up at the ceiling panels. I am a bit achy from snuggling with Christian on his bed, but in all honestly, the aches are not unmanageable and I would not hesitate to do it again.

The hospital cafeteria at suppertime offered little in fresh options so I managed to grab a boxed salad and bun. I reread the messages and dial Kate's number.

"Jesus Ana! I've been looking for you all day. You weren't at school. Called José but there was no answer. Then I called your house and Ray answered. He was not impressed and he asked if you were with me! Where are you?" Kate was bordering on genuine fear and frustration.

"Kate, calm down. I am at the hospital visiting Christian. I don't know when I'm leaving here but I need to see you." I hooked my cell phone between my collarbone and my ear. I squeeze the tube of salad dressing on my salad and stir it with the fork. "Actually, can you come pick me up here in an hour? Its better I talk to you in person."

Next is the harder step: calling Ray.

Ray picks up the call immediately. Before he can start with his probable yelling I jump in. The best offence is a good defence. "Ray, don't freak out. I'm at the hospital. I'm fine. I'm visiting the friend I mentioned." Ray is quiet and I know he wants to choose his words wisely.

"Ana, you went through hell yesterday and you what—you go traipsing to the hospital?" His words are firm but luckily he is not screaming. "Ana, I think it best you come home. Now," he says with finality.

"I am coming home soon. Kate is picking me up and she will be visiting for a while. So, can I trust you to behave yourself and not punish me until after she leaves?" I am surprised by my brazenness.