CHAPTER 5: How Can You Be So Cold?!

LIZ

I just don't understand him. He makes no sense and I don't have time for any of his childish games.

My thoughts of him are right away cleared as soon as the Uber I got to pick me up, dropped me off at Sean's school. In which luckily too, it wasn't too far from our house.

After picking up Sean and us heading home, I made him a little after school snack and then before he did his homework I asked him about his day.

"It was fine. I made a few more friends." He tells me.

"Good. I told you." I smile at him.

"Yeah. But, there's a school Halloween Carnival Saturday, the day before Halloween that I would like to go to." He says.

"That sounds like fun." I tell him.

"Yeah, but, can we afford it?" He asks me.

"I will make sure we have the money. Plus, we need to get you a costume before then." I tell him.

"Really?! Oh my god. Okay, I know what I want to be." He begins to say.

"Good. Well, why don't we go after dinner tonight and then get some ice cream while we're out?" I suggest.

"Okay!" He says excitingly.

"Okay." I tell him. "Now do your homework and then we'll go."

"Alright." He says then begins to eat some of his snack while taking out his homework.

Then after dinner, we order an Uber and have them take us into town.

We start walking around and stop at the only costume store there.

Which they had a huge selection to choose from and was the biggest Halloween store I had ever been in.

While walking around, I stopped and saw someone who looked familiar. He looked like my old friend Max.

I walked closer to see if it really was him.

"Max?" I asked.

The guy turns around and it turns out that it wasn't him. Which sucked cause I missed Max a lot and haven't seen him in years. We used to be best friends throughout school and then him and his parents had moved away in Sophomore year and I haven't seen him since.

Luckily, to save myself from any more embarrassment, Sean snapped me back to reality as he called out my name while running up to me with a costume in his hands.

"Liz! Liz! I found a costume!" He says excitedly.

"Good. Let's um, let's get it and go get some ice cream." I tell him.

Then after we paid for the costume, we walked down a couple of blocks to the ice cream shop.

Once we got inside, we stood there in line and while looking up at the menu, trying to decide what sounded good, I heard a deep husky voice come from behind us.

"Well, look who's here." The guy whose name is Neil and is one of the bartenders at the club.

I turn and see him. "Hey." I reply with a smile as we both hug each other.

"Didn't think you'd be here this late." He says.

"Well, I was just getting a costume for my brother here and promised him some ice cream." I told him. Then I introduced both him and Sean to each other. In which Sean instantly took a liking to Neil. He in a way kind of reminded me of a Chad Michael Murray.

We ended up having Neil sit down with us and talk and eat ice cream.

He was real nice and seemed to really like kids and he seemed like an overall really cool guy.

After we got done and since it was getting late, we went to drop off Sean and after tucking him into bed, I went to my room and got ready for work, then hurried downstairs and walked out to Neil's car where he was nice enough to give me a ride to work, along with offering to give me a ride back home tonight, since I wont be able to get my car back until tomorrow.

Once we got to work, about almost two hours into my shift, I decided to ask Katie about getting an advance on my paycheck. Except I soon found out after asking her that she really isn't the boss and that she doesn't do the paychecks. Rick is the one that's in charge. Which I started to feel was just my luck.

Though I quickly remembered that I would be doing it for Sean.

So I took in a few deep breaths before taking a break and started heading back towards his office.

When I got there, I took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. Then I heard him call out, "Come in!"

Which I opened the door, stepped inside his office and shut the door behind me.

He looks up at me and stops what he's doing.

"What?!" He says.

"I wanted to ask you if I could get an advance on this paycheck?" I asked.

He looks at me for a moment, sits back in his chair and crosses his arms.

"Why do you need an advance?" He asks.

"Well, you see, Sean's school is having a Halloween Carnival the day after tomorrow and is the day before Halloween that he really wants to go to. So I was wondering...." I tried to continue, but he interrupted me.

"No. You can't have an advance. You have already requested Halloween off and now you want an advance? It's not going to happen. You just started here and you can't just start requesting days off and an advance. I don't even do that for Katie or any other employee that's been here since this place opened. So I will not be doing you, as the new girl, that kind of a favor. Especially to someone that calls me a dick." He says so coldly. Did I catch him in a bad mood? A bad time even? I thought to myself.

"Look, I don't normally do this but, I really need it, please. I'll work double shifts." I offer.

"I said no. And I'm not someone who changes their mind. Now if that's all, you can go." He says as he then goes back to his laptop and continues to do whatever it was he was doing.

"Fine." I tell him then turn around and shut the door behind me.

I seriously can't believe that he would be so harsh and so cold. Well, I guess that leaves me no choice. I guess I'm gonna have to sell the car.

Seriously, what else can go wrong?

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)