Chapter 1

"Buddy, they can do all kinds of things to resuscitate someone." Larry tried to soothe his best friend. "She can't be gone; this is Mary Louise Streep Gummer. She wouldn't leave this world like this. No way."

Don shook his head as he paced; and his whole body shook. "I heard that awful sound when someone codes; just like on TV. I saw the flatline on her monitor. She slipped away from me; I could feel it no matter how hard I tried to hold onto her. She was hemorrhaging; she was bleeding out, Larry. Damn it, I should have insisted on a C-Section. When I saw the toll it was taking on her and her body I should have insisted on a C-section. We KNEW the risks but they just kept pushing her body; I kept pushing her through the labor."

"Buddy, that's what we do as birthing partners and husbands and fathers; we encourage our wives through labor and that is EXACTLY what you did! If you REALLY thought she was in danger you would have taken her to that OR yourself; I know that. Hell, you probably would have performed the operation yourself if you thought that was best for her. Don, YOU flatlined almost two years ago. " Larry consoled. "Her love brought you back; don't you DARE give up on her. Your love and strength and positive thoughts will bring her back."

Don nodded as he continued to pace while he ran his fingers through his hair. "What are you doing back here?"

"I know you sent us all home earlier; but I wanted to check on you, just a feeling." Larry said.

Don couldn't help but think that ever since they were kids he and Larry had always been connected. "I'm glad you're here. I haven't called the kids; I can't yet. Just the thought breaks me heart."

"There's nothing to tell yet." Larry told his friend. "When you do call it will be with good news; I know it."

At that time Dr. Taylor came out with Meryl being pushed behind her. Don ran over to his unconscious, but BREATHING, wife. "Meryl!" He said kissing all over her face. "She's alive?"

"Don, there isn't time to talk." Dr. Taylor said running next to Meryl's bed as it was pushed frantically down the hallway. "I know this is going to be alot to take in; but let me get this all out."

Don nodded as he held onto his wife's hand with one hand and his other hand stroking her head as he ran by the bed. He noticed she was on an oxygen mask; but when he felt her pulse on her wrist it seemed steady. He saw Larry running behind him. "What? What's going on?"

"She's going to be okay; we brought her back quickly and she's stable. She never lost oxygen." Dr. Taylor said.

Don cried in relief as he kissed her hand. "Thank God."

"IF we do emergency surgery, NOW." Dr. Taylor took a deep breath. "We discovered she was pregnant with twins which means another baby is still inside her. The monitor was showing she was still having contractions; and that's when I discovered baby B. I stopped the bleeding, for now, and she's had a transfusion. However, we need this other baby out as soon as possible; then I can see if there's any additional damage. I know this is a lot to take in; but we have to take it now. I can get the baby out in two minutes if I have to. We have already given her anesthetic."

Don's mind was reeling. "Yeah, okay. Whatever you have to do to save her and the baby. Where do I scrub up?"

"Don, there isn't time. I'm sorry. Stay here." Dr. Taylor said as they got to the OR.

Don held onto the bed. "WAIT! I want to talk to her."

"Don, she's out; and we have to get in there as soon as possible." Dr. Taylor said.

Larry could see his best friend was about to lose it. "Just a moment; please, Doctor."

"Okay." Dr. Taylor said. "30 seconds, Don."