Chapter 86

The next day was spent with Don and Meryl just enjoying time with one another and their babies; soaking up the family time before they had to be back in court the next day for Peggy's trial. They of course spent time with his parents as they didn't want to be rude; but Brad and Jane also knew the best thing for their son was to spend time with his wife and their youngest children as he tried to get his strength back from the exhausting experience of remembering what happened the day of the accident. Don and Meryl had called the kids to tell them what happened; but whenever they wanted to talk to Don he would keep it short. He was hurt all over again. Meryl completely understood and didn't push him at all. Yes, it was incredibly hard for her to hear her husband recount what the kids said to him; but she had already gone off on them and been mad at them, giving them a silent treatment. She knew it was now Don's turn to go through those emotions since he was experiencing it all over again. She had offered an ear if he wanted to talk about it; and he said he wasn't ready but he was hoping to hear an apology. Meryl let it go at that and just enjoyed their time together with their two youngest. Knowing the next day facing Peggy would not be fun.

***

Don and Meryl had just settled the babies in Mike's office with Liz and Maggie; and Meryl had her hand on Don's back as he hobbled on the crutches towards the courtroom. "My guy doing okay?"

"I promise I'm fine, sweetheart." Don said stopping and turning to her; giving her the smile that still melted her. "I had an amazing day with you and the twins yesterday. I am just ready to get all this over with and we can get home. We can get back to a schedule for Mags and Brady. We both can be in our own home. I'm just ready for our own kind of normal."

Meryl ran her fingers across his cheek. "Being in Indianapolis is still hard for you."

"In some ways, yes; and in some ways, no." Don said honestly. "I just like it better when we're in our home. I'm selfish."

Meryl knew it was hard for him to share time with the babies since he felt like he had missed half their lives already. "I am too, Don Man."

"Kids?" Don asked surprised as they got closer to the courtroom. "What are you doing here?"

Grace, Mamie and Henry all exchanged looks when Don seemed to keep his greetings and hugs to them short; but not Louisa, Suzie or Lily. Henry spoke up. "We wanted to be here for you, Dad."

"And Mom." Mamie smiled.

Grace nodded as she tried to smile at her father. "Mostly Dad."

"When did you get in?" Meryl asked as she hugged her kids and granddaughter after Don did. "You didn't say anything on the phone."

Suzie smiled. "Dad's pilot brought us last night; and we've been hiding out at Grandma and Grandpa's."

"They didn't say." Don said somewhat tightly. While he absolutely adored ALL of his children; he couldn't help the feeling of hurt when he saw them-the first time he had seen them since remembering what happened. It caught him off guard; he thought he would have time to mentally and emotionally prepare for this moment. "Babe, I'm going to go talk to Larry and Mike and sit down. Love you."

Meryl nodded as she kissed his lips. "I'll be right there, sweetheart; and I love you, too."

"I told you." Grace said sadly to her siblings.

Louisa shrugged. "He was fine with me."

"Because you weren't there that day." Mamie said.

Suzie nodded. "He was fine with me; but I see what you guys are talking about."

"What ARE you all talking about?" Meryl asked even though she was pretty sure she knew.

Henry sighed; feeling though he had been the ring leader. "Ever since Dad has remembered what happened the day of the accident he's been short with us. I don't understand; we've apologized."