Chapter 60

Meryl woke up from her nap on the sofa to Birdie nosing on her face. Meryl woke up disoriented for a minute and laughed as she saw Birdie staring at her. "What is it, Birdie girl?" Birdie started running in circles. "I bet you need to go out, huh? I'll take you; let's go tell Don." Meryl got up, with Birdie right by her side, and went to her husband's studio in their apartment. He had been working from home as much as he could after finding out Meryl was pregnant; even though she kept telling him she was fine. She didn't know why she was surprised as he worked from home whenever she was pregnant and the kids were little; even having a studio in the same apartment in the beginning. She smiled as she saw him on what sounded like a promising business call. She didn't want to bother him and turned to Birdie. "It's snowing out. Let's go get my boots and coat and I'll take you. We won't be gone long."

***

Meryl was walking Birdie and the snow was falling harder and it was getting colder. "We better get a cab to go home, Birdie girl." Just as Meryl turned to walk out of the park get a cab she fell on a patch of ice on her back. As soon as she did she thought she felt cramping. "No, oh God no." She was crying hysterically, holding her stomach, as Birdie began to bark incessantly. Thankfully a nice old man stopped. "Please call an ambulance. I fell, am pregnant and am cramping. I think I lost my baby."

***

Don was finished with work and decided to go check on his wife. He was surprised she wasn't still asleep on the couch as it had been a bad morning with morning sickness. Once the tea and crackers kicked in, and she fell asleep, Don then decided to work. He went to the kitchen, the bathrooms, their bedroom; well, he went to every room in the apartment and he began to worry. He took out his cell phone and pressed the speed dial for "Darl." It rang and rang and rang. Just then their apartment phone rang. "Hello? Meryl?!"

"No." The female voice on the other end of the phone said. "I am Nurse Banks from New York Presbyterian Hospital. Is this Donald Gummer; husband of ML Gummer?"

Don's heart sank as he was already running to find his shoes and coat. "Yes."

"Mr. Gummer, your wife was just brought in to our Emergency Department. She slipped on the ice while walking your dog. We know she is almost 7 weeks pregnant and she is cramping in the abdominal region. She is pretty hysterical and we are having a hard time calming her down."

Don was putting on his coat as he blinked back tears; he knew having another baby was too good to be true. Now, they were losing their third baby. "What room?"

"Emergency Department room number 20." The nurse paused. "We have your dog up here with us. The man who found her I guess offered to take the dog but your wife and the dog didn't want that. I guess it was your dog's barking that got the man's attention and he found your wife."

Don remembered what Meryl said about dogs sensing something is wrong in their master. He then thought about her suffering another miscarriage without him there like with Matthew Donald. "Thank you so much. Will you please tell my wife I am on my way?"

"Of course." The nurse said. "Thank you, Mr. Gummer."

Don quickly pressed the * button on their home phone. "Ross, it's Don Gummer. Grab me a cab...NOW."

***

Don ran into the Emergency Department and almost yelled out. "Room 20?" They pointed him towards room 20 and he ran in. As soon as she saw him she cried harder; and he immediately ran over to her, taking her into his arms. "I'm here, Darl; it's okay."

"I'm so sorry, Don." Meryl sobbed.

Don shook his head as he kissed hers over and over. "I know, baby. We got through it twice before and we'll get through it again, love. This is NOT your fault, baby."