Chapter 12

"Henry? What are you doing here?" Don asked his son as he opened the door.

Henry exchanged an apologetic look with his mother. "Dad, we need to talk."

"You don't look well." Don said opening the door further. "Are you okay? Susie and Lily?"

Henry nodded. "They're both great; I will be okay, but I really need to talk to you. Mom, I'd like to talk to Dad alone."

"Henry." Meryl warned. "If you are going to..."

Henry kissed his mom's cheek and whispered in her ear. "I'm going to fix this, I promise."

"I'm really not comfortable with you and the babies being in the other room." Don said looking at Meryl.

Meryl was hopeful Henry could take away some of the guilt and responsibility that Don was feeling. She went over and tenderly kissed his lips. "Why don't you guys go in the kitchen and get a beer? I'll take these guys into the den and play with them."

"I'm not drinking." Don looked at her.

Meryl sighed as she whispered in his ear. "You deserve it; you are NOT him."

"Is everything okay?" Henry asked as his parents were acting weird.

Meryl nodded. "Here, let me take him. We'll be in the den."

"You'll get me if you need me or they're hungry?" Don asked.

Meryl winked at him. "Of course; you two have some father/son time. While we have some Mama/Brady/Mags time."

"Come on, son." Don patted Henry's back and led him into the kitchen and grabbed two beers. "What's on your mind?"

Henry sighed as his father sat down next to him. "I should have done this months ago; but better late than never, I guess."

"Henry, you are scaring me." Don said. "Are you sure you're okay, buddy?"

Henry looked at his father with tears in his eyes. "Dad, when I heard Mom was pregnant I completely overreacted. I pushed you and looked at you with eyes that weren't meant for you. I know you would NEVER EVER hurt her or any of us, Dad. If you thought she was in danger you would move heaven and earth to protect her; you HAVE. I have seen it over and over. These past 6 months I have seen you do EVERYTHING in the world to make sure she made it through this pregnancy. I have seen you put cold cloths on her. I have seen you battle her doctors. I have seen you carry her when you shouldn't have for your own good. Dad, I am so sorry. You are my hero; you always have been. I wasn't in the best place when all this happened. I was thrilled to be with Suze and that we were having this baby; but I was terrified I could never measure up to you. So, I took it out on you. The last person in the world who deserved it. I just had so much fear in me that I could never be like my hero, be like you; so I guess I tried to blame you for something that wasn't your fault."

"Thank you, Henry." Don choked as he took his son's head in his hands. "I am so damn proud of you. You are an amazing father and husband; I couldn't be prouder of you than I am."

Henry nodded. "Dad, I just need you to know that the things I said, pinning you against the wall, wasn't about you and Mom; it was about me and my insecurities. I hate myself for that. I hate myself that because of how I handled my fears that you now doubt yourself. Please forgive me, Dad; please."

"Son, of course I forgive you; I forgave you when you came back to our suite in Indianapolis to talk to me about what happened. Thank you; I can't tell you how much this conversation means to me. Not because you are apologizing; but because you are letting me in." Don revealed. "Nothing makes me happier than to see what an amazing father and husband you are; in addition to being a wonderful son."