Chapter 83

Don and Meryl opted to eat lunch in Mike's office with just the babies after Maggie offered to go to the cafe' downstairs and get them something. Don and Meryl really didn't feel up to being noticed out eating in public; which everyone understood. They also wanted to have some time with the babies; and Meryl wanted to be able to nurse them privately and she also wanted Don to put his leg up as much as possible. After Meryl and Don ate their lunch and she fed the babies, they were sitting on the sofa in Mike's office holding the babies in silence. One thing Meryl loved about her relationship with her husband was how they didn't feel the need to talk constantly to connect; that they could connect just as much by holding one another in silence. However, the silence they were experiencing that afternoon in Mike's office was different; it was pensive. Meryl tenderly kissed his cheek as her head continued to lay on his shoulder. "Penny for your thoughts, Don Man?"

"Huh?" Don asked as she brought him out of his thoughts. "I'm sorry, Darl; what did you say?"

Meryl continued to hold Mags close as she moved slightly to gaze into her husband's eyes. "What's going on in that brilliant mind of yours? And don't you dare tell me nothing because you are afraid you are going to burden me; nothing is ever a burden to me when it comes to you and our kids. Please tell me, baby."

"I do like that you know me so well." Don flirted. "I owe you an apology for this morning."

Meryl decided to tease a bit. "You changed your mind and decided you don't want to get married?"

"Not on your life; and you know it." Don smiled as he tenderly kissed her lips. "I'm sorry I have this damn amnesia and I couldn't really give a testimony."

Meryl stroked his cheek with her free hand. "Sweetheart, that is absolutely NOT your fault. That is THEIR fault; and that is exactly why we are doing all this. I hated the things he said to you; you shouldn't have even had to testify."

"No." Don shook his head strongly. "If it means that it helps keep you and our children safe then I would do ANYTHING."

Meryl brushed her lips across his. "I know you would, my Don Man; just as I would."

"It means that more pressure will fall on you during your testimony since I really can't remember." Don pointed out. "Which I hate more than you know."

Meryl shook her head at him as she ran her fingers through his hair. "I don't. Don, time after time after time you have taken the brunt of things for me and our children. You have made sure we are happy and healthy and safe; which you are continuing to do. You have come to my rescue. I kind of like that I get to do that for you this time. The weight of the world doesn't always have to be on your shoulders, sweetheart; marriage is about sharing that weight."

"We always have." Don smiled. "I just don't want you to carry too much weight on those beautiful and toned and perfect shoulders of yours."

Meryl shook her head as she laughed at her husband. "My typical Don Man."

"I'm just scared to death this is going to be too much stress for you and your heart. I know carrying the babies and having them put your body under so much strain." Don said seriously as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "I wouldn't be able to take it if something happened to you; none of us could. You say I'm your linchpin; well, Mary Louise, you are mine."

His words brought tears to her eyes as she pressed her forehead to his; wanting him to feel her as close to him as possible. "Sweetheart, I am so much better. My new meds are helping. You are making sure I rest as much as possible."

"Just as you are me." Don pointed out since they were both still recovering from their latest health obstacles. Don then wiped away a few of her stray tears that trailed down her cheek. "When I saw you have that attack in the hospital last week and they wouldn't let me stay in the room with you..."