Chapter 30

"Honey?!" Meryl called out to Don with two social workers from Child Protective Services standing at the front door. She took a deep breath and opened the door further. "Please, come in."

Don came walking in to the entry way after hearing his wife calling for him. "I'm coming, Darl; what's up?"

"Don." Meryl said trying to communicate with hims through her eyes. "These two nice people are here from Child Protective Services saying they were following up on a complaint."

Don shook their hands. "Donald Gummer. I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought everything was straightened out last night."

"And we have pressed charges against my brother who DID hurt our new born daughter." Meryl said trying not to show how scared she was.

Don nodded as he wrapped an arm around Meryl's waist to pull her close. "He is being charged with Child Endangerment and Attempted Kidnapping. I have all the paperwork on our computer if you would like to see. Our lawyer back in Manhattan has already taken action; we are NOT messing around with the safety and well-being of any of our children or our family."

"This is simply a follow up from your hospital visit last night." The man said. "It is protocol that we make a home visit."

Meryl reached for Don's hand. "Oh, we weren't told that."

"That's the point, Mrs. Gummer." The woman smiled softly. "To make sure that things are really as they appear."

Don nodded. "This is just one of our vacation homes so we don't have all of their stuff here; but have ordered lots of stuff for this house so it feels like home for them."

"Mr. and Mrs. Gummer, I'm Marie Welsh." The woman said. "We just need to walk through and assess your home."

The man nodded. "I am Greg Freeman and we just want to ask a few questions."

"Of course." Meryl tried to smile. "We just put them down for nap in the den."

Don nodded. "Because of Margaret's bruises we aren't swaddling her so I built a fire to try to keep her warm and comfortable."

"Twins, right?" Marie asked.

Meryl beamed. "Fraternal; Margaret and Bradley."

"The best surprises." Don winked as he led them inside and pointed to the left. "That is the study and our office. We aren't here a lot; but it was Meryl's parents' house and means a lot to us."

"We spent summers here while I was growing up; then our older kids did as well. Don and I were married here. Our oldest child, Henry, was married here this past summer." Meryl reached for his hand again. "Our babies we lost due to miscarriage over the years even have special markers here to remember them."

Marie smiled. "Nice to continue memories and traditions with new babies."

"It is." Don nodded and moved past the stairs. "This is the kitchen with a living area here to the side. Our home in Salisbury is much the same way; we like how we can all be together doing various things."

Meryl nodded and pointed to the large bay window. "The river is out there; and that cliff is where we were married. We bundled the babies up and took them for a walk along the mystic today."

"They loved it." Don said as they heard crying. "Darl?"

Meryl shook her head. "They've been fussy with all the tension and upheaval since my brother yesterday; excuse me."

"We'll come with you." Greg said.

Don nodded as he followed Meryl with the two social workers following behind them. "They've been sleeping in one bassinet because that is the only way we could get them to sleep."