Chapter 75

A little while later Don was laying in bed next to Meryl while he was holding both babies on his chest; and yet he also managed to keep one arm around his wife. He was relieved when he was able to feed both babies and now they were sound asleep. It took a little while and patience on his part, but he put Meryl's hand on them while he fed them from the bottle and it seemed to have paid off. He looked down at his babies and then his wife and a flash appeared in his eyes; a memory. He was having a memory. Meryl was right, eventually it would all come back to him. Don kissed the top of her head and smiled. "Well Darl, you were right." Don paused waiting for her to wake up; and she didn't. "Come on, you aren't going to tell me how you are always right; well, you are. My memories are slowly coming back. You have been so amazing telling me stories of what I have missed; now it's my turn to tell you what I remember."

***

"I can still order that pizza and ice cream." Don teased as she and Meryl laid in their makeshift double hospital bed by pushing two beds together once all the kids left. It was the night Lily was born after Meryl's seizure episode.

Meryl laughed as she looked up at him as he held her close. "Oh my god, I am so full."

"I just want to fatten you up." Don winked as she shook her head. "Did you have fun tonight?"

Meryl placed a long and deep kiss on his lips. "It was absolutely amazing; thank you, baby, so much."

"You are more than welcome." Don said smiling at her. "How are you feeling?"

Meryl shrugged. "My head hurts; but I am feeling incredibly loved, safe and happy."

"I'm really glad about the loved, safe and happy part." Don smiled. "My plan worked."

Meryl fell in love with him again. "Yes, it did."

"I don't like that you have a headache." Don sighed. "I'll get a nurse."

Meryl stopped him from getting up. "Please just hold me."

"Baby, I will all night." Don said kissing her head. "But if you have a headache..."

Meryl shook her head as she grabbed his hand. "They gave me something. You're off the clock, Gummer. I want you to rest. Thank you for eating."

"If it makes you feel better then I'm glad I did." Don tried to tease.

Meryl shook her head sadly. "Baby, please take care of yourself."

"I promise." Don said holding her tight. "Lillian is something else."

Meryl shook her head. "The most beautiful baby girl; and so easy."

"Well, she's not even 12 hours old." Don pointed out making her laugh.

Meryl nodded. "True. I can't wait for our baby."

"Neither can I, sweetheart." Don said turning off the light over the bed. "In the meantime, I want you to get some sleep. I'm here if you need me."

Meryl stroked his cheek as she kissed his lips over and over. "I have no doubt about that; thank you for being here with me, for supporting me, for encouraging me and for loving me as much and as completely as you do."

"It's like breathing to me." Don said with a kiss to her lips."Night baby, I love you."

Meryl's medicines all of a sudden took effect as she laid her head on his chest. "I love you; sleep well, handsome."

Don laid there for the longest time watching his partner, his best friend, the love of his life and the mother of his children quickly fall asleep. He stroked her hair as he watched her sleep for the longest time. He didn't know his heart could hold so much love but it did; for her, for their children and for their grandchild. He thought about the hell she had gone through that day, the fucking difficult decision she had come to and how through it all she was putting him and their children first. As he watched her sleep that night he mad a vow to himself, and her silently, to make sure they never needed that fucking piece of paper they both signed that day. He knew he would work until he took his last breath to keep her and their children safe and happy; and that is exactly what he planned to do.