Chapter 55

The next night Meryl woke up when she thought she heard Don throwing up. She knew he hadn't felt the best earlier but they gave him some medicine and he quickly fell asleep; she followed suit not long after once she fed and put the babies down for the night. She turned the light on over their hospital beds and saw him leaned over the edge of the bed throwing up. She knelt behind him rubbing his back and whispering in his ear. "It's okay, baby; just get it out of your system." Meryl soothed as she ran her fingers through his hair; and she felt like he was trying to fight it. "Just take your time and get it all out, baby."

"Sorry...Darl." Don choked. "Didn't want...wake up...turned wrong...had pain...and got...sick."

Meryl kissed the side of his head over and over. "Shhh....I don't care; I'm glad I woke up."

"Fuck." Don sighed as he leaned his head back against the pillow on his hospital bed. "You should be sleeping."

Meryl quickly went over and wet a washcloth and handed it to him. "I should be doing just what I'm doing; I want to take care of you."

"I'm glad." He smiled sheepishly as he looked at the floor. "Damn it, I made a mess. If you don't mind handing me some towels then I'll clean it up."

Meryl gave him a look. "You are NOT cleaning it up."

"Neither are you." Don said strongly as he pulled her back into bed next to him. "In the past month you have had 3 emergency surgeries. You are not going to get on your hands and knees to clean up my vomit."

Meryl kissed his head as she got up again. "We're calling housekeeping."

***

After housekeeping cleaned up the floor, Meryl helped Don clean up and back into bed. A nurse also gave him some medicine for his nausea and pain. Meryl placed a cold cloth on his head. "How is that, baby?"

"Better." Don turned drugged and sick eyes to her. "I'm so sorry you had to help clean me up."

Meryl tenderly kissed his freshly brushed mouth. "Don't you know how much I love to wash your glorious body. Besides, I don't want any nurse or aide to do that."

"You're the only one I want." Don said as he closed his eyes. "Jealous?"

Meryl kissed his left ring finger. "I need to get you a ring."

"Yours." Don opened his eyes and tried to smile at her. "Ring or no ring."

Meryl smiled as she continued to run her fingers through his hair. "How you feeling, handsome?"

"Tired...drugged...crappy...glad you're here with me." Don answered honestly.

Meryl smiled at her husband; that was her typical Don. "I hate that you're feeling so crappy; as if you haven't been through enough."

"Not as much as you." Don said stroking her cheek.

Meryl kissed his lips once again. "Not that it's a competition but I think you've been through more than you even realize. Now, my handsome and amazing husband, what can I do for you?"

"Tell me a story?" Don asked as he turned his eyes to her. "I just want to hear your voice in my ear. Nothing makes me feel better and safer than hearing your voice."

Meryl swallowed past the lump that formed in her throat when she heard the love and longing behind those words. She pressed her head to his. "Anything for you."

***

It was Sunday May 11, 1986 and Don walked into his wife's hospital room as they were preparing to take home a baby Grace. His smile left him when he walked into the room and saw his wife holding a newborn Grace close to her and crying into her little head. "Baby, are you okay?"