Chapter 56

A few days later while the babies were taking their morning nap, and Don was doing better; Meryl went down to the cafe to get her and Don some snacks when he told her what sounded good. She wasn't prepared for the conversation between Don and Dr. Abbott that she walked on when she arrived back in the room. She placed the snacks on the counter by the sink by the door and stood back, undetected, as she heard the conversation continue to unfold.

"I can really go home tomorrow?" Don asked Dr. Abbott.

Dr. Abbott smile. "You're incisions aren't draining anymore. Your ribs and cuts and burns are healing from the accident. While you can't put any weight on your leg; you just need to keep the brace on and use crutches."

"What about showering and using the stairs?" Don asked.

Dr. Abbott nodded. "Meryl can help you at home just like she has helped you here; and if you can carefully navigate stairs with the crutches then you can do that."

"What about a rehabilitation facility?" Don asked as Meryl's heart sank. "You know; until I get stronger?"

Dr. Abbott sighed. "Don, you don't need therapy. You've done great here in the hospital; with Meryl's help..."

"Doc, she has two newborn babies to take of." Don said hurting Meryl's heart even more. "She is still recovering from her own surgeries. I've put her through enough hell."

Dr. Abbott nodded. "Physically, as long as she rests too, she can help; but you're doing really good as well. Has Meryl said anything about not wanting..."

"Of course not!" Don said strongly. "This is all me asking this. This is me worrying about my wife."

Dr. Abbott took a deep breath. "You can stay here in our rehab facility until you're stronger, if you want, but Meryl and the babies can't stay."

"That's not an option." Don said as he wanted to look after his wife and babies. "I've forgotten too much. Is there a place where I can still get care but Meryl and the babies can stay with me?"

Meryl heard enough and made her presence known. "Yes, at our apartment. That is where you will come; to our home. We will stay downstairs in the bedroom just as you did with me when I couldn't use the stairs when I was pregnant. I will help you clean up. I will help you with whatever you need. Not some medical facility. Not some nurse. Me."

"Baby, I just want you to heal." Don hated that by trying to help her that he had obviously caused her pain. "If there's a place where you aren't having to do much..."

Meryl looked at Dr. Abbott. "Once he's released he is coming home with me and our babies. I can take care of him? Physically?" Dr. Abbott nodded. "Okay; then that's where he will be discharged. Any care instructions I can have to make sure he is getting what he needs then I would appreciate it."

Dr. Abbott looked at Don who nodded. "Absolutely; I'm going to give you two some time and I'll check on you later."

"Thanks, Hal." Don said as Dr. Abbott left and he watched Meryl go and get the snacks from the counter. "Darl?"

Meryl was trying not to burst in tears. "Do you want the juice or soda?"

"Baby, come here." Don reached his hand out to her. "The babies are still sleeping so let's talk." 

Meryl took his hand and sat next to him on the bed. "Please don't take the opportunity to take care of you and our babies at our home away from me."

"I just didn't want to be too much for you." Don said wiping her tears away. "I just want what's best for you and our babies; as well as our others but they're all out of the house now. For the record, I wanted you three with me. I couldn't leave you alone."