Chapter 29

"Did you get everything, Larry?" Don asked while sitting in the office in their Mason's Island home after sending everything off to his best friend and lawyer.

Larry was sitting in his Manhattan office as he looked through the files. "That was quick; thanks so much."

"Meryl had a nightmare last night that the babies were taken away." Don sighed. "Also, Henry from back when he and I had chicken pox and she fainted with him in her arms when he was a baby; she dreamed about that as well."

Larry shook his head. "It won't happen. Bud, you didn't need to send the photos of when Dana beat you. I have all that in the packet."

"I figured as much but M wanted me to include it." Don explained. "So, with the documentation from what he did to Mags and everything; then they can't be taken away, right?"

Larry stopped looking through everything; and was surprised to hear this from his level headed best friend. "Don, of course not. There is NO reason. You immediately had her checked out after you saw she was hurt. I know you and Meryl are doing EVERYTHING in the world for her."

"Larry, you don't know what it feels like." Don was really talking about what he went through for the first time; not knowing his wife had walked in to the office to bring him some coffee and toast. "To be taken into some small room being questioned about bruises on your baby who is less than 3 weeks old; while your wife is going through the same thing. To leave your 16 day old twins with a stranger; wondering if you will get to see them again. If they will soon become some damn statistic all because of your fucking brother-in-law. You don't know what that's like, Larry; so forgive me if I need assurance. I'll ask again...this will protect them from being taken from us; correct?"

Larry sighed. "Correct. I'm going to push all this through and get the charges filed. Try to enjoy the day with Meryl and the babies. It's going to get colder later this week so go for a walk by the river, start a fire in the fireplace, take a nap. I've got this."

"Thanks, Larry; bye." Don sighed as everything from the last almost 24  hours caught up with him. He threw his glasses down on the desk and rubbed his fingers over his eyes and then leaned back in the chair.

Meryl was blinking back tears as she quietly walked over, sat the coffee and toast down and began to massage his shoulders as she pressed her cheek to the top of his head. "Talk to me, Don Man."

"I was so scared." Don started to let his emotions go as he pulled her arms around his neck and kissed her hands. "I was terrified they would be taken; that I would let them and you down. But I knew we had to get her checked out; that was more important to me than anything."

Meryl tearfully kissed his cheek over and over. "That's because you put your wife and children's health and safety above anything and everything. You wouldn't have let us down, sweetheart. HE is responsible; not you. You, and I, were just left cleaning up his mess and of course making sure our baby girl was okay. You immediately went into action mode, pressing charges against him and making sure we all are safe."

"I never felt so powerless. I just hoped all the evidence I had would prove how damn much we love them." Don choked. "The idea that they could have been put in foster care..."

Meryl shook her head as she kissed his neck. "They aren't and never will be."

"I'm sorry; I was trying to stay strong for you." Don said wiping his tears.

Meryl moved his chair so she could sit on his lap and hold his head in her hands. "You are more than entitled. Thank you for taking such amazing care of me and all of our babies. I love and appreciate you more than I think you could ever possible know."