Chapter 68

As soon as Don got Meryl settled into the passenger's side of their rental car he ran to the driver's side and sped out of the driveway. "Baby, I'm going to get you to the nearest hospital. Just hang on, sweetheart; I am right here with you."

"I'm so sorry, Don Man." Meryl cried.

Don grabbed her hand and kissed it. "You have no reason to apologize, my love. Hang on to my leg. I'm going to make a call."

"Okay." Meryl tried to breathe.

Don tried to smile at her. "That's my girl." He then dialed a number by memory. "Papa Mike?"

"Don?" Mike was surprised to hear his chosen son's voice. "Aren't you supposed to be in the air?"

Don shook his head. "James fucking Gummer happened and Meryl is in labor. I don't know what the fuck happened but I'm positive he traumatized my wife and did this."

"What hospital are you headed to?" Mike asked.

Don was thinking of the nearest hospital. "St. Vincent's."

"We'll meet you there." Mike said. "We love you both."

Don was trying not to cry. "Thank you so much; and we love you too, bye."

"They coming?" Meryl tried to breathe as she grabbed his hand now that it was free.

Don nodded as he pulled her hand up to his lips and kissed it. "Yeah; we'll be there soon, love; and we can meet our baby."

***

Don rushed Meryl to St. Vincent's hospital and ran to her as soon as he changed into scrubs and they got her settled. He immediately ran over and kissed all over her face as she cried. "You came back."

"Of course I came back, baby." Don's heart was literally breaking at what his father had obviously done to his wife. "You're stuck with me for all of eternity."

Meryl tried to smile through the pain. "Thank God. I was afraid you would blame yourself for what happened; which wasn't your fault. But that you would think I would be better off and you would leave me like you have thought in the past because of James. I'm not, Don. I can't be without you. I need you so much."

"I'm a selfish bastard and need you more than anything." Don said grabbing her head in his hands and pressing his forehead against hers. "I love you so much, baby. God, I love you; and I am so so so unbelievably sorry."

Meryl put her hands on his head and kissed him over and over. "It is NOT your fault. Please don't blame yourself. Please, Don."

"How's my girl and our baby?" Don asked as he kissed all over her face. "I hated that they made me leave you to get ready."

Meryl wiped away his tears. "You're here now and that's all I care about."

"Baby?" Don said as he looked at the monitors. "The last thing I want to do it upset you; but can you please tell me what the hell that fucker did to you?"

Meryl took a deep breath. "Baby, you are going to be livid."

"Then I need to know." Don said strongly. "Sweetheart, what did that fucker do to you?"

Meryl tried to do her breathing. "I woke up to him kicking my back and I immediately felt a contraction. I fell to the floor in pain; and then my water broke. I kept screaming for him to get you; and he kept saying how you came to your senses and left me. I knew you wouldn't, baby; I was just afraid you thought you would need to leave to protect me."