Chapter 76

Don noticed that Meryl was getting restless and went to lay the babies down in the bassinet so he would be able to care for his wife if she needed him; and the babies were sound asleep with full bellies so he knew they would be fine. He immediately sat in the bed, facing her, so he could run his fingers through her hair and kiss all over her face. "Hey baby, it's me, your Don Man. I'm right here with you, sweetheart. That bastard is locked up in jail. Mags and Brady are sleeping; but they are sure missing their mama just like I am."

"NO!!!!" Meryl woke up screaming as her legs and arms were flailing around. "STAY AWAY!! DON...NEED DON!"

Don's heart was breaking that she was obviously remembering one of the times that Mann came after her. He didn't want to hold her down against her will; but he was also terrified that she would hurt herself. "Sweetheart, I'm right here. We are all safe because of you. Wake up, baby, please."

"DON!" Meryl screamed as she woke up sitting straight up.

Don's heart broke when he saw the fear and brokenness and also uncertainty in her eyes; as well as the sweat pouring off her body. He immediately took her in his arms, holding her tight; hoping that she knew it was indeed her Don Man who was holding her as he stroked her hair. "You're safe, baby; it's me, Don. You're safe, my girl; and no one is EVER going to hurt you again. I promise, baby. You're safe. Please just breathe, Darl, just take some nice deep breaths."

"Don?" Meryl cried as she pulled away and placed a hand on his cheek. "It's really you?"

Don smiled softly as he wiped away her tears and pressed his forehead against hers. "It's me, my love; I am right here. You're safe, sweetheart."

"Babies?" Meryl choked. "Kids?"

Don placed soft kisses all over her face and then looked over at the bassinet. "The babies are sleeping and are just perfect; and our other kids as well as Suzie, Lily, Liz, Larry, Mom and Dad are all out in the waiting room. Even though she didn't want to; I convinced Louisa to stay at school but I promised to update her. I haven't called Third and Maeve yet; I've just been too worried about you. The kids might have by now."

"Where am..." Meryl looked around. "I'm in the hospital?"

Don nodded with a kiss to her lips. "Yeah baby; you are. Do you remember what happened?"

"Don't go!" Meryl cried as he began to slightly move away from her. "Please don't leave me."

Don's heart broke that Mann had gotten to her, emotionally, all over again. Don shook his head as he propped his leg up on the bed so she was between both his legs as he faced her. "I'm not going anywhere, baby; I just wanted a better look at you."

"I remember getting a confession out of Mann and just wanting to see you." Meryl choked. "Needing to see you."

Don brushed his lips against hers. "I was so happy once I finally got to see you. After you got the confession out of that fucking bastard, you had trouble breathing and Larry called an ambulance; and then called me. I got here as soon as I could."

"I know that better than anything." Meryl finally smiled. "So, you know what he said?"

Don tucked her hair behind her ear as he nodded at her. "If you're asking if I know that my brave as hell wife went up against her abductor, rapist and terrorist and got a confession out of him that will put EVERYONE that has ever been after us away for good; then yeah, baby, I know. I am so damn proud of you."

"You know how I got him to tell us?" Meryl choked as he nodded. "You're not mad at me for telling him I would be his."

Don shook his head as he kissed her lips over and over and over again. "First of all, you are NOT property to be owned. Second of all, you will NEVER be his; as I've told you before only you can give yourself to another person. I know you didn't give yourself to him. You simply told him what he wanted to hear to get a confession out of him; a confession that has saved our family. Besides, you have given yourself to me every single day of our lives; and to me only. I know that, baby."