Chapter 38

"You're getting a beard there, handsome." Meryl said sitting beside Don's hospital bed while Liz and Larry took Margaret and Bradley for a walk. She softly ran her fingers along the stubble on his gentle yet strong and handsome face "If you did all this just to turn me on with a beard then you could have just grown one." Meryl leaned forward, bracing her stomach, as she kissed his lips. She was still in a good deal of pain but she'd be damned if she let that get in the way of taking care of her husband or their newborn twins. "Liz and Larry are taking the babies for a walk in the stroller around the hospital. We have some special babies there, Gummer; they are being so good. I am so proud of them; just as I know you will be. I can't imagine not having Larry and Liz's help; they are being amazing. Your parents have called and send their love and good thoughts; as do Third, Maeve and Mary. I said I didn't want Dana to know. He hurt you and I can't go there with him yet. Louisa is constantly texting asking about her favorite creative mind. I told her it will be imagining the next DG masterpiece even while it's resting. The other kids have texted; they do love you, baby. I want you to know how much we all want you to wake up. Please, Don." Meryl broke down for the numerous time. "I need you so much, Donald Gummer. You wouldn't let me go and I'm not going to let you go. Seriously, Don Man, it's been 24 hours. So, I need you to wake up. I need you to tell me to stop worrying. I need you to remind me of our pact that we would go together. I need to see you with our babies. They're 3 weeks old today and need you, baby; they need you so much. Our other kids are waiting by their phone with word that you're awake. I need to here the calm, soft and soothing voice of my best friend. I need to see that sparkle in the blue eyes I love so much. I need you to scold me for not sleeping and eating. Come on, Don; it's time." Meryl was breaking bit by bit. She didn't know Liz and Larry had walked back in with the babies. "Is this you getting back at me for scaring you so badly with the babies? Okay, I get it; I deserve it. I know I took years off your life but you don't deserve it. Please baby, all you have to do is open those eyes. You can go back to sleep right after that if you want. You don't have to talk. Just please show me those gorgeous baby blues. Maybe even a small Donald Gummer smile. Please, Don; I may not deserve it but you do. I'm so worried that the longer you're asleep that you're less likely to wake up and I can't take that. I'm desperate, Don."

Larry whispered to his wife then nodded down to their godchildren in the stroller. "I'm going to walk with them some more."

"I'll take care of her." Liz whispered with a kiss to her husband's lips as she then went over to her friend, kneeling beside her and stroking her hair. "Honey, he IS going to wake up."

Meryl shook her head. "He should be awake by now, Liz. It's been 24 hours."

"Honey, they said it will take awhile. His scan from this morning showed the swelling has gone down." Liz tried to calm her friend down. "His EEG is normal. His reflexes are good. He responds to stimuli. We just need to give him time. I can't imagine how difficult this is not only because of how and why he got hurt; but also with everything else that has gone on lately. He just needs time, M; he will come back to you. NOTHING would keep Donald Gummer away from his family. Not an accident or a car explosion or Kevin Mann or Dana. NOTHING."

Meryl leaned her forehead against his and then kissed his cheek. "You gave me time to heal after John which gave me you and our family. As long as you come back to me I will give you all of the time in the world."

"Mer." Liz said as Meryl turned to her. "Are you sleeping?"

Meryl shook her head. "I can't; I close my eyes and see him slumped over that steering wheel as the car explodes."

"Honey, you NEED to sleep; for him, the babies and for you." Liz sighed. "Let me take the babies tonight."

Meryl shook her head. "No, I can't let them go. If Don were to wake up he would be terrified if they weren't here."