Chapter 81

Don and Meryl were sitting in the kitchen with Jane and Brad eating dinner as the babies were sleeping in the room they were all staying in down the hallway. The flight was uneventful and now they were at the lake house. While the babies were sleeping, and Brad and Jane were busy, Meryl told Don where things were knowing that he didn't remember. Don smiled at his parents. "Thanks for letting us stay here, Mom and Dad. I know it will make things easier on Meryl."

"And on Don." Meryl pointed out with a smile. "We appreciate the help; I know the babies can be a little bit of a handful."

Brad laughed at his daughter-in-law. "They're wonderful."

"They are really good babies." Jane said.

Don nodded as he winked at his wife. "They really are great babies; much easier than our others were."

"Maybe we're just seasoned pros." Meryl laughed as she heard Mags crying. "On the other hand, maybe they're proving us wrong."

Don grabbed his crutches as he gently pushed his wife back down. "You sit and eat; I'll go check on them and will let you know if Daddy won't cut it."

"I don't mind, babe." Meryl said; worried about him. "You can visit with your parents."

Don kissed her lips as he shook his head. "I like taking care of them."

"Don." Jane laughed as she saw her son walk out of the kitchen and started to go in the wrong kitchen. "Not that way. It's like you've never been here before. You can navigate the New York subway system but you can't find your way through your parents' house? That's sad."

Meryl's heart sunk when she saw the look on his face. "Darl?"

"Go to the left, baby; and it's the third room on the right. I'll be right there." Meryl knew why he was confused; he didn't remember coming there those times before and he had brain swelling still. Things had gone so well with her mother-in-law and then this. "Jane! I can't believe how you spoke to him!"

Jane looked at Brad. "What did I do?"

"We talked about this." Brad was frustrated as well. "He doesn't remember this house."

Meryl shook her head as she got up. "He still has confusion. He has BRAIN TRAUMA, Jane. He is trying SO HARD to regain his memories; and when he doesn't he beats himself up. He has guilt of not remembering the last 10 months and the first weeks of the babies' lives; so when he tries to take care of them you make him feel like shit. We are just so damn lucky he is still with us."

"Meryl." Jane choked as she turned to Brad once Meryl walked out. "I thought things were better with her."

Brad couldn't blame Meryl for reacting like she did. "They are; but she is Don's biggest protector, and I'm thankful for that."

"Me too." Jane acknowledged. "I forgot that he didn't remember."

Brad nodded. "I know, dear; but think about where they are coming from. Meryl is 4 weeks postpartum with twins. She's had heart episodes. She has pulled her husband from a fiery crash; a crash that was caused by his ex-wife, his half-brother and her rapist. All while she is healing; Don is also healing from brain trauma and a severely maimed leg. They are here to try and protect their family from the forces that have tried to tear it apart for over 30 years. They're understandably under lots of pressure and stress."

"I should go talk to them." Jane said. "I don't want us to go backwards."

Brad gently pulled her to sit back down. "I think we need to give them some time."

***

Meryl's heart broke when she saw the down look on her husband's face as he sat on the edge of the bed and moved the bassinet back and forth. She smiled that he was able to get the babies back to sleep. "Don Man?"