Chapter 66

After heating up their lunch, the Gummers all sat back down to eat. While they were eating Henry looked at his father. "Daddy?"

"Yeah, Bubs?" Don asked as he saw the look on Henry's face.

Meryl noticed how focused their son was. "Gippy, what is it?"

"Who was that mean man?" Henry asked as he ate.

Don turned to his son and ruffled his hair. "What mean man, buddy?"

"He came in and yelled at me." Henry's lip quivered. "He took Colt. I was scared."

Don sighed as he pulled his son onto his lap. "I bet you were scared, buddy. I'm so sorry."

"Scared for Mommy." Henry whispered.

Meryl sighed as leaned over and kissed her son. "Oh baby, I was safe with Daddy."

"Daddy saved us." Henry said repeating words from when he was only 2 years old.

Meryl nodded at her son. "He always saves us."

"I'm sorry that man scared you." Don was glad that Mamie wasn't really paying attention. He knew Henry wasn't just scared of his grandfather; he was scared because of what he and Meryl had gone through 5 years earlier. Don hated that Henry was reliving that; even if he didn't realize it. "He isn't a nice man and he won't come near you again; Daddy promises you, H Man."

Henry looked at his mother; he looked just like Don. "Who is he?"

"You didn't recognize him?" Don asked and Henry shook his head. "He's my father. He is not a nice person, Henry."

Meryl nodded. "That is why Daddy won't let him near any of us."

"He mean to you, Daddy?" Henry asked his father.

Don didn't know how he was keeping it together but he was. "He has been, buddy."

"I won't let him be mean to Daddy anymore." Meryl choked. "Or to any of you; just as Daddy won't let him be mean to us."

Henry was thinking about this. "You save Daddy, Mommy?"

"She sure as hell did." Don choked.

Henry's eyes got big. "Daddy, you said another bad word."

"I guess I did." Don laughed. "Henry, I want you to believe me and Mommy when we say that none of those mean men will ever hurt you again. We are so sorry it happened."

Meryl nodded. "You feel better, Gippy?"

"He took my Colt." Henry said with an angry face. "Not okay."

Meryl and Don looked at each other and tried not to laugh. Meryl kissed Henry's cheek. "That's right, Hen; that was NOT okay."

"But you have Colt now; and you all are fine." Don breathed. "Why don't you eat and then it's rest time."

Henry groaned. "Ddaad."

"It was a long night last night." Don said. "You can lay in bed and read books if you want but your mother and I want you to rest. Okay?"

Henry nodded. "Okay, Dad."

"When are we having that glass of wine?" Don whispered in Meryl's ear.

Meryl turned her head to kiss his lips. "Soon baby, soon."

***

Meryl put Grace down for her afternoon nap while Don settled Mamie and Henry in his and Meryl's room. He found Meryl on the sofa in the den and went over and kissed her lips. "They're down with a movie."