Chapter 5

Don and Meryl had fallen asleep after Henry and Susie had mysteriously dropped gifts off for both Meryl and Don; Don explaining that what Henry gave him was for Meryl, and Meryl explaining what Susie gave to her was for Don for their anniversary the next day. Don was happy that he had at least picked up Meryl's BIG present the day she went into labor so he at least had it with him. The other gifts occurred to him after the babies were born and he thought it would be a fun gift for her; not knowing she had come up with similar gifts for him, feeling awful that she hadn't been able to plan or shop for anniversary gifts for him as she usually did. As soon as she could she wanted to plan something for him; not just for their anniversary but just for him being who he was. Don wasn't sure when he would give her the gift he was the most excited about but as they were feeding the babies late that night he had his chance.

***

Don smiled as he was holding a sleepy Margaret in his arms while Meryl was feeding Bradley. Don happened to look up at the clock and realized it was now just past midnight on September 30th; their anniversary. He smiled as he placed a kiss on Meryl's sleepy head where it was resting on his shoulder; and he started to get up. "Baby, I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" Meryl asked as he got up with Margaret.

Don winked at her. "Wardrobe change for this little princess."

"We just put both of them in their pajamas that Liz and Larry brought up not that long ago" Meryl was confused as she leaned over and sniffed. "She doesn't smell dirty."

Don shook his head at his wife. "Trust me on this. It is an important wardrobe change."

"Okay." Meryl laughed; not exactly sure what was going on but she could tell by the look on her husband's face that he was up to something. "We'll be here."

Don placed a kiss on her lips. "Good."

"What do you think they're up to Bradley?" Meryl whispered with a kiss to her son's head as she finished nursing and Meryl covered herself back up and brought Bradley to her shoulder. "We need a nickname for you and your sister like we do your siblings and niece; don't we? Bradley and Margaret seems a little too formal for us Gummers. You already have a Grandma Maggie and Grandpa Brad; so that doesn't seem to fit for the both of you. We'll need to talk to Daddy about what he thinks. Your daddy is sure up to something in the other room; trust Mama on this, he can't keep anything a secret from me."

Don shook his head at his infant daughter as he heard his wife talking to their son. He leaned down and whispered. "Your mama doesn't like not being in charge; or not knowing what is going on. She's going to like this little surprise; well, at least I hope she does. She thinks I can't keep a secret from her; but I think I did pretty well on this one, baby girl. I'm glad your brother picked your new outfit up so quickly for Daddy. You look so perfect and adorable." Don reached into his bag and took out a small velvet box. "Here we go." Don smiled as he walked back out into the main room of his wife's private hospital room and smiled as she was holding their son. "Why don't you lay him down on the boppy on the bed?"

"What are you up to?" Meryl laughed as she did as her husband told her to do.

Don winked as he handed their daughter to her and he slowly kissed her lips. "It's officially September 30th; Happy Anniversary, my love."

"Happy Anniversary, my Don Man." Meryl smiled as she laughed at her daughters onesie that said, 'Mommy will you marry my Daddy?' Meryl shook her head. "What is going on?"

Don smiled as he took Margaret back from her now that she saw the onesie and he laid her down on the other boppy on the bed. "About a month ago when we first came in here before we were surprised with our beautiful daughter I told you that I wanted to marry you again. That together forever would never be enough time for me to spend with you. This past year has been scary, not to mention these past few months; but it has reminded me, not that I necessarily needed reminded, but it reminded me that not only do I not want to do life without you but that I CAN'T do life without you. So I will ask you again, marry me again?"