set fire to the rain

"Carolin we have lots of rain pouring down. Drive safely please. Watch the corners 3,4 and 11 closely. Good Luck girl.", Markus transmitted. "Thanks guys! Let's make this a good one.".
My crew sent me out right at the start of Q1. "Get as much heat as possible in those tyres.", I heard on my radio. "Ok I'm braking super late now. Keep me updated.". I drove around the circuit with ease. I love wet tracks even though the car does seem a bit like a boat. "I'm not having the best grip guys. It's kinda like driving on an ice rink.", I spoke over the radio. "Ok copy. Try to heat the tyres up more than we suggested.".
I finally found grip and started my flying lap. "Ok pit now.".
I drove back into the garage and they showed me my data. "Sector two was a bit of a bumpy ride I nearly went off track there.", I said. "We won't send you out again. Your time of 1'25.755 is easily enough for Q2.", I got told. I jumped out if the car and did a little victory dance. Q2 here I come.
"You are now driving on intermediates.", Markus told me. "What why? It's pouring. I won't find any grip.", I was annoyed. "Because you maybe have to start the race with this set of tyres tomorrow.", I turned off my radio. They sent me out 3 minutes into the session. "Guys I'm experiencing a heck load of understeer and I have next to zero grip.". "Ok box now.". The thing was I was only in turn 4 so had a lot of track still to cover. "It's raining men, Hallelujah. It's raining men every specimen! Arrgg ducking understeer. Tall blonde dark and lean! Rough and though and strong and mean! I feel like I'm on an ice rink, the car is sliding around. I don't know what I'm singing it's just to make a sound.", I sang.
They sent me out again after another 10 minutes passed. "Ok all or nothing Carolin. Stay safe!". I tried everything I could but I just couldn't find any grip. "I'm sorry guys..", transmitted after I went of track and thereby lost any chance to participate in Q3.
The second I parked my car I went into the back of garage. Frustration, anger and exhaustion prominent in my face. "Really nice job Carolin. P13 because Hülkenberg has to change his turbo and gets penalised for that.", Anais said while sitting down next to me. "I still feel shitty. I'm usually best when it rains but today I felt like bambi on ice in the car.", to say I was disappointed in myself was an understatement. "Everybody felt like that. Nobody got their tyre temperatures up enough in Q2. Even Max slid around like crazy and he is god like in rain.", she told me. "Right but he got P2.".
I walked to the minibus that would take us back to the hotel. "Oi oi girly you were on fire in Q1.", Daniel said as he barged in. "Thank you.". "Why did your team send you out on intermediates in Q2 though? The rain was even too heavy to find grip with wets.", he questioned. "Please don't ask me. It wasn't my idea.", I was still pissed off. "Cheer up Lin! You beat 6 guys that's pretty impressive for a first qualifying.", he hugged me. "Ah there he is the master of wet circuits.", Daniel exclaimed when Max entered the bus. "Here I am. And I'm hungry I want some spanish food.", he said and plopped down on his front row seat. "Where is Brendon?", I asked. "Still giving interviews.", Max answered. "Where were you whilst that anyways?", the Australian asked. "I didn't have any.", that was followed by an awkward silence. "That lil kiwi needs to hurry up or I'm leaving him here.", Daniel exclaimed. "Chill. I bet he's just flirting with Anais.", I tried to calm him while putting in my earphones.
I clicked on my favourite after race playlist which was filled with all sorts of weird calming noises that help me relax. I felt the van starting to move and immediately felt less restricted and agitated. This Formula 1 stuff really does make me anxious but I wouldn't admit that in front of anyone. Just leaving the track lifted my feelings up quite a bit. "Nice tunes.", Max said. He had one of my headphones in his hand and grinned. I chuckled at his intrigued looking face. "Quite relaxing actually.", the dutchmen added. "That's their purpose. I need that to calm down after racing otherwise my heart rate would probably be way too high all the time.", I explained, closed my eyes again and felt my body slipping into unconsciousness.
"Just pick her up Max. It's just a girl! An attractive one but still.", Brendon's voice could be heard. "Why can't you take her? If she wakes up and sees me she'll be freaked out.", Max argued. "I need to go to my engineer that's why.", the sound of footsteps fading. "Well than thanks mate.", Max cursed. I opened my eyes slightly and saw him coming over. "Don't worry I'm awake. I can walk myself.", I mumbled. My body still in sleep mode I tried to stand up tall but failed. Thank goodness Max caught me or I would have another embarrassing moment to add to my endless list. "Thanks.", I awkwardly giggled. "Kein Problem."(No problem.) "See you.", he said after we parted ways at my door. "Bye."
Not having any interview requests is very nice on one hand because I wouldn't have to answer stupid questions and lie about certain things. On the other hand it is really degrading and put me in a foul mood. Am I that irrelevant to the world of motorsports? I mean it's my first race after all. Not even the Austrian television team wants to talk to me even though they've been dying to get another Austrian in Formula 1 since Alex Wurz and Christian Klien. They rather just talk about than to me. Maybe it's better this way. My focus is on racing and racing alone. No media, no partying and certainly no boys. 
  I picked up my phone form the nightstand and went on twitter to watch the other drivers interviews. First up Daniel. "obviously there's an elephant in the room-", the interviewer was interrupted by Mr. Ricciardo. "Really where,", the honey badger pretended to search for it. "No but seriously what's your opinion on another new driver- a female driver?". "I actually don't mind it. Carolin is a very nice girl and she certainly did prove today that she's talented. It's not my place to say: 'Oh not another young one again.' cause we were all young once. And I actually like her and think she drives more mature than some of us old guys do."., Daniel went all serious. "So you don't mind a girl racing?". "No not at all. It's a nice change.". The interview ended there and I must say I like Daniel even more now. Next one up is Lewis Hamilton. "Lewis incredible drive again. P3 for tomorrow, are you happy?". "Thanks man. Yeah I mean I would have liked it better If I had pole but Max is nearly unbeatable in rain and Seb had a really good lap so.". "There are a lot of rumours flying around about the new driver for Toro Rosso. Apparently Niki Lauda one of the head managers of your team discovered her. What can you tell us?". "All I know is that she's Austrian and Niki saw her at one of her karting races when she was younger and realised her talent. And now she's here. Actually I want to add something to that. To all the people hating on her: She rightfully earned her spot and as we all saw she can keep up with us. Zwesper is just an 19 year old girl, she has feelings. That's all thank you.", he then left.
"Mr. Hartley good Qualifying. P10 for tomorrow, happy?". "Yeah it was a good qualifying. I'm just bummed that the team tried different strategies on mine and Carolin's car otherwise she would have been further up in the grid as well.", the kiwi smiled. "What do you mean by different strategies?". "They put her on intermediates in Q2. The car was unsteerable. I'm just bummed for her because she really served some of us in Q1 including me.", he chuckled.
I loved Brendon. He was the most correct person I know when it came to equality in a team. He strongly disagrees with having one number 1 driver and one number 2 like Ferrari often does. The last interview I was gonna watch was Max' because I couldn't find any of Stoffel. "Max plus wet races, a match made in heaven?". Max laughed. "Ahh you know it's because I'm dutch. But really I just enjoy it when it rains.". "Are you the best on wet tracks?". "I wouldn't go and say that but I'm definitely good. Actually today I was very surprised. Carolin the new Toro Rosso driver is really good in the wet too. Very impressive stuff she showed." "So staying on this topic. What do you think about a girl in F1? Because Felipe Massa for instance doesn't think it's a good idea.". "I believe she showed us all that she belongs here today. Q1 she had the 5th time which is incredibly. We at Red Bull like her racing in F1. Thank you.", with that he left. All of the boys were dead nice and as for Massa I don't see any friendship blossoming there in the near future.  Ignorant prat.
Someone knocked at my door. "Lin let me in.", Stoffel said from outside. "I just saw Felipe's interview and I am livid and just want to make sure you don't believe a thing he says", he quickly raged. "Please calm down. I didn't even watch his interview. He can kiss my bum. I was team Fernando anyway.", I smiled. "If I tell him that he's gonna love you even more. He adores you since you went in on Massa at the dinner.", I had to laugh. "He wants me to bring you to the garage so you two can trash talk about Felipe.".