GP of Austria

This whole weekend was bound to be a mess. My feelings were all over the place with Max and Stoff. Then there was the obvious which was my home Grand Prix in a team owned by an Austrian millionaire. To be quite frank I wasn't enjoying myself at all. I woke up on Friday feeling bad and it turned out that I was also driving really bad that day. I finished 15th in FP1 and 13th in FP2 which marked as my two worst Friday results this season. "Carolin keep you head up. It's not as bad as it looks.", Lando tried to cheer me up in the evening. "Lando I had about 3 hours on this track and I drove like an idiot in all of them.", I was angry at myself. Sofie cancelled my interviews after FP2 so that I could focus on what's important. "You are still faster than some guys. Don't worry too much.  Or ask Max and Stoff for some tips.", he wiggles his eyebrows. "Oh please don't talk about them that's the next thing I messed up.", I complained. "Well yes that you did mess up but also not that much. Stop complaining and get to sleep.  You'll need it.", with that he left my motorhome. I looked at my phone and some two new messages.
Tough luck today. Tomorrow is another day. It's just gonna go up from here.  - Max V.
I couldn't catch you after FP2 but if you still need some company and a laugh you can come over? - Stoff
To be honest I didn't wanna see either one of them so I just didn't reply. I laid down in bed and started Netflix.
I hated today. I never felt this bad in car before. Every turn scared me and I wouldn't trust myself or the car to give everything I had. Luca and I talked for quite some time to get to the bottom of these problems but I was too proud to admit that I was the problem. But he knew. Every race engineer knew when their driver was talking smack. I grabbed the data from today and went over it again. I never went full throttle in the high speed corners. My brakes weren't even close to being hot and the tires were borderline too cold. In fact I was driving like an idiot and if I was my boss I would fire myself after this performance.

I woke up the next morning half laying on my data sheets. Let's hope today will go by more smoothly. I was dreading Qualifying but I was determined to do better.
"So for FP3 we changed a few settings and some stuff around the brake ducts. It should suit you more.", Luca explained. "Thanks. It can only go up.", I tired to joke. "Brendon has a grid penalty coming his way because we changed his MGUK. So we are counting on you.", Franz Tost said.
So I messed up agin in FP3 and what a surprise I crashed and damaged the car.
"This weekend is cursed.", I said to Sofie. "Don't worry. "

Q1 started and my car wasn't ready. "This is just not going my way at all.", I said to Luca. "Don't worry we should have 10 minutes left in Q1 when they are finished.", he tried to calm me down.
And he was kinda right I jumped in in the second they were finished but there were only 4 minutes left on the clock.
"Radio Check." "Yes all clear." "Ok get going!"
I drove my outlap and the car felt like it did in FP3. "Car feels good. Thank you guys!!!", I transmitted. "Scenario 4 Carolin."
I started my fast lap and I must say I haven't felt better this weekend. The one section were I seemed to bin it was turn 3 and onto the Schönberggerade. When I approached it I was determined to make it and I did. The last tricky part was turn 10. I had to stay inside the track limits otherwise my lap was done for. I gave my all and made it over the line. This was a one shot Quali I had to get it this time or I'm out.
"That's it. Carolin you did it! P7 0.896 ahead of target.", Luca was extremely happy with the lap.  "F*** thank you guys. Let's get on with it.", I cheered.
"After nearly not setting a time in Q1 the girl whose home race this is impressed us with her only Quali lap. Out in Q1 Stroll, Massa, Grosjean, Ericsson and Vandoorne." "Yes she did recover nicely. A very impressive lap by Magnussen in the other Haas. Through to Q2 is not something we see them do everyday."
"Ok Q2 now Caro. Scenario 5 and please try to keep it out the barriers.", the last part was said jokingly. "I'll try."
The team estimated that my only chance to make Q3 is by choosing the soft compound tyre. And they were right as I finished Q2 in P10.
"That was a tight one. So after Q2 Perez, Ocon, Sirotkin, Hartley and Hülkenberg out."
"Guys I need more power if we want to aim for anything better than P10". "Copy, M3 M3. Full send."
M3 means a different engine mapping which means more power. I knew we had this possibility but I haven't done a lap in this mode before. "Push now Carolin".
I gave it my all and the lap felt really really good. P7 good if I had to guess. "Caro the lap time was deleted because of track limits. Box and let's try again.". "Nooo! Why! Arrrrrgh!!!"
My pit crew changed my tires and waited for the perfect time to send me out again. This was like a one shot quali. There was no time for a third outing and my first set time was deleted because of freaking track limits. I drove through the last corner of my out lap and pushed the throttle as hard as I could. If someone asked me what this lap felt like I couldn't tell them. I was in a trance like state and couldn't remember a thing. All I knew was cheering from my radio. "P4 Caro superb job! Really great driving!", Luca was loosing it. "Ha Ha Ha thank you guys! That felt good. Like really good. Thank you for fixing the car this quickly. Fantastic team effort I couldn't have done it without you guys.", I cheered and felt some tears prick my eyes. „Great job Carolin. Really good result for the team.", Franz told me. „Thank you."
The Qualifying results were
1. Bottas
2. Hamilton
3. Verstappen
4. Zwesper
5. Ricciardo
6. Vettel
7. Raikönnen
8. Alonso
9. Sainz
10. Leclerc
11. Hülkenberg
12. Hartley
13. Magnussen
14. Perez
15. Ocon
16. Vandoorne
17. Ericsson
18. Grosjean
19. Massa
20. Stroll
I had some post Qualifying interviews and for once I was extremely excited to get there. I told them how happy I was about my lap and how grateful I am to the team for fixing my car that fast. My mood genuinely shifted and I was enjoying this weekend for the first time since we came here to the track. "Buh!", some tried to scare me. "Though luck Daniel. I saw you since we passed that bin over there.", I pointed to a bin in front of the Red Bull hospitality. "Ah you are no fun.". "Don't be pouty just because a "b-team" driver beat you in Qualifying", I grinned cunningly. "Beginners luck.", he joked and winked. "But no, great lap Carolin. I must say I was impressed."

My motorhome was cozy and since I had nothing to do I decided to tidy it up a bit. "What a lap!", Lando burst into the room without a warning. "Lando you muppet! What the hell!?", I complained. "What?". "You scared me you little s***". "Whoops."
We sat down on my sofa and talked a bit about the track and my lap respectively his race. "It was impressive. George and Alex were also impressed. They said to tell you hi. And that you have to visit us once you have settled into F1.", he always felt right at home and that's what I loved about our friendship. "I'll try to make some time maybe next week.  I miss them too.". "So I know you don't want to talk about it but how's it going with Boy 1 and Boy 2?" "It's not going at all to be honest. Stoffel is really trying to get things back to normal. And Max is a weird mood. So yes. I thought about asking him over." "Who?" "I don't know. Stoffel maybe?", I wasn't really sure who I wanted to come by. "Good idea then you two can finally can get back to normal. Because as much as I love you. I can't be your Stoffel." "Nobody can", I smiled.