Chapter 5

*Michael's POV*

"What makes you the most upset?"

I look across from me to see Nicole sitting on the beige couch, her eyes looking hollow from sadness. It's only our second session, but she is signed up for intensive therapy, which is 5 out of 7 days a week. I think her parents believe the more help she gets in a short amount of time, the faster they'll see improvement in her.

I guess they've never heard the expression "Quality over quantity."

She shifts in her seat. "I don't know maybe the fact I don't really have anybody." she says.

I can see the tears begin to form in her beautiful brown eyes. They're illuminated by the yellow lights that shine down from above us. I've always thought brown eyes were boring- mine are nothing special. But hers, wow. They're like a storybook.

I remove my glasses and sit straight up. "You're not alone, Nicole."

"Yes, I am." she says, her wavering.

"No, you're not." I say softly "You have me, you have your parents and your friends-"

She interrupts me. "You have to be here with me." she snaps, finally letting the tears fall from her eyes. "And my parents- they don't want me around anymore. They want me to be self-reliant so I can get out on my own and not be a bother to them anymore. And my friends, they don't care about me as much as I care about them."

By now, she's talking a million miles a minute with tears streaming down her pretty face.

"I just want to be normal and loved." she says. "Guys are just so..."

"So what?" I ask her, leaning forward in my seat.

"So much better than me. They're too good for me- all of them." she says, crying harder.

She buries her face in her hands as if she's ashamed. Little does she know she has no reason to be. I've been where she is before- I still am in some ways. And trust me, it's not a nice feeling. It hurts me to see a beautiful girl like Nicole believe she's worth nothing. I get up from my chair and walk towards her. Her face is still in her hands, so she doesn't see me coming.

I sit next to her and she looks up at me, clearly surprised to see me next to her. I give her a small smile. "You just need a hug." I tell her, pulling her close to me so that her head rests on my chest. I can't believe I'm touching her again. She can probably hear my heart beating a million miles a minute.

"You are loved, you are special, you are beautiful," I tell her, stroking the back of her head.

I can't help but think I'm going too far. "Does she think this is weird? She obviously doesn't because if she did she would've pulled away by now." I think to myself.

"Just let it out, its okay." I say.

She looks up at me, her eyes are red and her mascara is running, yet, I've never seen anyone look as beautiful as she does right now- completely vulnerable and letting her true colors be exposed to me. How could I be falling for a girl I don't even know? Never in a million years did I think this was possible.

"Michael..." she says looking into my eyes.

"Yes?" I respond, looking back at her.

She doesn't say anything else-

She just leans in and kisses my lips.