Chapter 6

*Michael's POV*

At first, I was shocked.

I couldn't believe this was actually happening, and not only this fast, but with her making the first move? I almost wanted someone to pinch me to convince me that it was all a dream.

I am not making out with my patient right now, there's just no way that's happening.

But it was happening.

Her lips were soft and delicate. They fit perfectly against mine- like we were puzzle pieces meant for each other. I was conflicted as to what I should do.

Pull away?

Start kissing her back?

It had only been about 5 seconds, but it felt like an eternity.

I ultimately made the decision to pull away, but in an attempt not to hurt her feelings, I grabbed her hand before doing so.

"Nicole, I-" I stop when I see the tears begin to fall from her eyes again.

"I'm sorry." she says between sobs "I'm so stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

Clearly, my attempt to not hurt her feelings failed. She tries to stand up, but I yank her back down onto the couch by her hand which is still held by mine. I immediately pull her back to my chest and wrap her in my arms, cradling her head in my hands.

"You are not stupid, and I don't ever want to hear you say that about yourself again." I say to her.

"Yes, I am." she says, her voice cracking.

"No, you're not. What makes you think that?" I ask while my hand strokes her hair.

"Because of what I just did- that was so uncalled for. It's not like me to do something like that. It's just that," she pauses and takes a deep breath "I like you so much and when you came over here I thought this was my chance to-"

I interrupt her "You like me?"

She pulls away from me and looks me in the eyes, wiping a tear away with the back of her hand.

"Yeah, I do. I know it's weird and you probably think it's gross, but I don't. And I told myself I would stop wondering what could be in my life and just start actually doing things to see what the outcome would be." She hides her face in her hands again, almost like she's ashamed of what she's just told me.

I reach up and grab her hands from her face "Nicole, you're not-"

"Stop!" She yells while swatting my hands away.

By this point, I'm frustrated that she won't let me say what I want before I chicken out and decide not to do it.

"Let me finish!" I say in my normal volume voice, but with a whiny tone.

That got her attention. 

"You're not mad at me?" She asks between sobs "I basically just sexually harassed you."

I laugh, shaking my head and grab her hands- this time she doesn't pull away. I take a deep breath and a quick moment to process what I'm about to say and the fact that once the words leave my mouth, I can't take them back.

"Nicole," I begin, staring at her hands then trail my eyes up to meet hers "I like you too."

Her eyes widen "What?" she says quietly.

I sigh "I said, I like you too." I wipe a tear from her cheek with my thumb "And yes, in that way."

"Michael, you don't have to just to make me feel-" 

I interrupt her again "I wouldn't lie about something like this. I really like you, honestly."

She looks away from me and says nothing.

"Nicole, are you okay?" I ask her.

"Yeah, I just need some time to process this- its kind of a lot to take in, you know?" she says, standing up. "I think I should go."

"You don't have to leave!" I say, grabbing her hand. "You can stay- we can talk about this."

She looks at her hand in mine, then back into my eyes. "How about you call me later? If I stay, I'll probably end up kissing you again." she says, blushing.

I laugh "Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing." I say while standing up to lead her to the door. "I'll call you tonight." I tell her.

"I'll be waiting." she says.

I open the door for her to exit. When she has one foot out, she spins around and kisses me on the cheek.

"Goodnight, Michael." she says with a shy smile and a laugh, probably because she can see how hard I'm blushing.

"Goodnight, Nicole." I say.

I watch her walk away as I close the door.

I can't believe that just happened.