Chapter 32

*Nicole's POV*

"You'd have to be dying for me to forgive you."

I replay that sentence in my head over and over again, trying to grasp the fact that it has become a reality.

I stare at the coldness of the hospital room and wince as the stitches are being placed in my arm over where the bullet grazed me.

After the nurse finished up she said something, but I didn't catch any of it. All I could think about was Michael and how scared I was that he wasn't going to make it.

Even though he has a temper sometimes, I'm just as bad as he is for saying the things I did. We both have things to work on about ourselves and we can do it together. After all, he was hired to help me with my problems.

And he's obviously done a lot more than that.

 My life has no meaning without him. He's my life now.

And to make matters worse I had to get on the phone with my poor mother who was hours away in San Francisco on a business trip and tell her everything that happened so she could be on her back down here. Including the part where her husband of 20+ years cheated on her with my now ex-best friend who was also underage.

I guess you could say it's not exactly my best day. 

All of a sudden, I hear a soft knock at the door before a petite brunette woman with a bob haircut walks through the door.

"Nicole?" she asks while glancing down at her clipboard in hand.

I nod.

"Hi!" she says cheerfully while extending her hand to shake mine. "I'm Dr. Lombardi, it's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too." I say as I shake her hand. Ido my best to sound enthusiastic, but I can't really since Michael is the only thing capable of being on my mind.

She clears her throat. "Well I'm happy to say that I have good news for you."

My head instantly perks up and my eyes begin to water. "R-Really?" I ask.

She nods. "We successfully removed the bullet from your boyfriend's chest and he's going to be fine. Now, he did have a punctured lung, but we were able to operate on it with no complications. We want to keep him here under supervision for a couple of weeks and after a few months of physical therapy, he should be good as new! He's a lucky man, a couple inches to the right, and he could've been paralyzed."

"Oh my God," I say practically shaking with tears running down my face. "when can I see him? I need to see him as soon as possible."

She nods. "You can see him now if you'd like, but he's still heavily medicated and probably won't be able to speak for a few more hours. "As for your father, he's also going to be fine-"

"I don't care about him," I say as I get up off the chair and begin to make my way towards the door. "I'd like to see Michael now, please."

"Actually, Miss Westwood, there's one more thing I wanted to discuss with you before you go." she says.

I fold my arms anxiously. "Yes, of course."

"Now we ran a few routine tests just to check for any major infections or complications and everything seems to look normal except for one thing." she says.

I feel myself get nervous again. I can't be sick right now, that would be the last news I could handle.

"W-What is it? Is it dangerous?" I ask shakily.

Dr. Lombardi shakes her head and lets out a slight chuckle. "No, not all. Miss Westwood, are you aware you're pregnant?"

My heart instantly falls into the pit of my stomach as I stammer to get some words out.

"What?" I ask in disbelief.

She glances back down at her clipboard. "It was brought to my attention by the nurse that processed you in earlier that when she asked you if there was any chance you could be, you said no and-"

I interrupt her and shake my head. "Pregnant?  That's impossible, I took a pregnancy test at home and it said I wasn't."

"Well, it's possible you could've gotten a faulty test or it was just a little too early to pick up on the hormone levels, but our tests are extremely accurate. I can assure you that you are with child." She says.

"Oh my God." I say.

"Now, I know this is difficult news, but there are a lot of options out there for young mothers-" I interrupt her. 

"No, I- this is great news." I say with a huge smile.

She looks at me, slightly confused. "It is?" she says with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes!" I say with the biggest smile on my face. "I have to go tell him!" I say before running out of the room.

---

"Michael?" I whisper as I enter the room.

He groans, obviously too weak and drugged to speak a coherent sentence, but I see him move his fingers as if he's reaching for me.

I quickly rush to the side of his bed and take his hand in mine before bursting into tears. 

"I'm so sorry, Michael. This is all my fault. I regret everything I said to you. You're beautiful, I love you so much." I say while kissing his hand. "And I want to marry you, okay? As soon as you get better we're getting out of here and going to the courthouse because after almost losing you tonight, I'm never going to let you go again."

I see him crack a small smile. "Yay." he says quietly.

I laugh at the fact he has the ability to be cute even when he's in this state. It makes what I'm about to tell him so much more exciting. 

"And you know what else?" I ask him?

"Hmm?" he responds.

"You're gonna be a daddy, Michael." I say while placing his hand on my stomach.

And all I see is what I can assume are tears of joy in his eyes.