Chapter 23

*Michael's POV*

"I'm sorry, you're a what?" he asks.

"A virgin, damn it!" I whisper-yell while flailing my arms.

"I don't believe you for a second." He says. "You expect me to believe in 50 years you've never touched a woman? I wasn't born yesterday, and well, neither were you."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, first of all, I'm not 50, you can't just round up my age like that. Second, I've... done stuff... I just haven't gone all the way yet; sex has just never been a priority for me."

"Does she know?" he asks me.

I shake my head. "No, I haven't told her yet. I'm afraid she thinks I'm experienced with all that stuff, and the truth is, I'm just not there."

"Oh..." he says, his voice trailing off.

I sigh. "Listen, sir. I really love your daughter. I haven't felt this way about anyone before; I haven't even been on a date in almost 10 years. Picking up girls isn't exactly a hobby of mine like you think it is. Although, I don't know if you think it is considering the things you said to me last time we met-"

He interrupts me. "Yeah, about that, I want to apologize. I was way out of line to say those things; I didn't mean it. I just got caught up in the heat of the moment and I snapped. And..." he hesitates before continuing. "I guess even though you've had a little bit of work done, you're still a pretty good-looking guy- for your age, of course."

I laugh, not sure if I should take it as a compliment, a dig or maybe even both.

"Thank you?" I say in a slightly confused tone.

"You're welcome." he says quickly before taking another step towards me. He extends his hand out to me. "Can we start over?" he asks me.

I smile. "Yeah, I'd like that." I say while wrapping my had around his and giving it a firm shake.

"Oh, and just one more thing; you can call me Rick if you'd like." He says. "It's just kind of weird hearing you call me "sir" you know, given our circumstance?"

I let out a small chuckle. "Yeah, I guess it is." I say.

Just then, the sliding glass door behind us opens and Nicole's sister pokes her head.

"Sorry to break up the bromance pow-wow session, guys, but the Hamilton's are here and really anxious to start breakfast so could you wrap it up?"

"Yeah, tell them we'll be right in okay?" Rick says.

"You got it!" Robyn says before sliding the door shut.

Rick turns to me. "Take care of my daughter, okay?"

"I promise." I say before we both head back inside.

***
The rest of the night was a mixture of awkwardness and fun. Things went much better than expected, but I got the sense that Nicole's friend didn't like me very much. 

I don't know, maybe it's just all in my head.

I was just happy to finally have her parents finally accept me.

Now we could finally take the next step. I knew as soon as we got home, neither one of us would ever be the same again. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared to finally do it for the first time, especially after going my whole life without knowing what it's like, but I couldn't wait any longer.

And based on how she's looking at me right now, I don't think she can either.