Chapter 17

A/N: SORRY FOR MAKING YOU WAIT SO LONG FOR AN UPDATE! I can only write when I'm inspired, so I suck at being consistent. :( Also, I've been really busy since school started back and don't have much free time anymore. Anyways, sorry if this chapter sucks, its super short. I hope you still somewhat enjoy it. I'll try to do better with updating more frequently!

______________

*4 months later (December 15th)*

*Nicole's POV*

My eyes flutter open to see sunlight pouring in through the vertical blinds that are slightly ajar, causing slivers of light to be filtered the sheer baby blue colored curtains and projected onto the silk-lined comforter that lays heavily on top of me.

Even though its winter in Pasadena and rarely ever reaches below the temperature of seventy-five degrees at night, I always insist on having a blanket over me. Not because I'm cold, but because it acts as sort of a sense of security.

It's been 4 months since I moved out of my parents' place. Or as they like to refer to it, "ran away".

But, it's not "running away" when you're a legal adult, it's seeking freedom.

If you told me a month ago that I'd be in this current position in such a short span of time, I would've called you a lunatic.

But, I guess that's just what life is- unexpected.

Nothing but unexpected moments and situations.

If I'm being honest, I didn't completely think the whole situation through before making my decision. I wanted to get back at my parents for them not allowing me to see Michael, but I couldn't help but wonder if I was hurting myself more than them.

What was I thinking, calling him to take me away from the disaster that was my life in that moment? It wasn't until after I hung up the phone that I realized that I barely knew this man, yet I was trusting him with my life.

I'm lucky Michael is such a nice person.

I'm lucky he isn't who they think he is.

I'm lucky he's letting me stay at his place while I sort out my life.

I couldn't exactly stay at Lucy's being that her and my parents are good friends which caused them to side with my Mom and Dad and ban me from seeing her at all, let alone stay at her place until I "came to my senses." She's not even allowed to talk to me now since they think I'm a "bad influence" on her. 

I can't believe that this one choice has caused me to lose everything. Is it my stubbornness to blame? Absolutely. But, I wasn't going to let Michael go, especially not after the undeniable connection I felt to him even though we were so apart in age. In all honesty, that didn't mean anything to me and I don't think it meant anything to him either.

And I wouldn't let the one thing I waited my entire life for slip through the cracks.

I also knew he had to care about me in the same way, especially after what he endured that night.

The terrible things my father said to him... I won't ever forget that. 

Because that wasn't my father I saw before me- it was a monster.

I sit up and rub my eyes, taking a moment to wake myself up completely before throwing the comforter off myself and hopping out of bed.

I make my way out to the living room to see that Michael is still asleep on the couch. I'm still convinced he's the most beautiful man I've ever known. I study his face carefully as the same filtered light that shines down on me shines down on him. I can't help but smile, knowing that he insists sleeping on the couch instead of the bed even after I told him repeatedly that I should be the one to.

The reason we decided not to share the bed was because after that whole situation with my parents went down, we decided that making things purely about the romantic relationship between us wouldn't be wise- I had to focus on rebuilding my relationship with my parents before trying to build us up. We haven't spoken since the day after the debacle when I went to pick up my things from their place. 

It's almost like we're at a stop sign before a busy street.

Although our feelings for each other aren't completely diffused, things haven't exactly accelerated enough for us to share a bed and it not be awkward. I'm kind of depressed about having my family so distant from me after eighteen years, and he understands that.

I look at the clock and see that it reads 8:07. Its the final day of the winter semester at PCC, and even though we're at the end, I can't afford to be late for the final exam. Especially since Professor Dachel already hates my guts enough to possibly fail me before I even take the test.

Even though I hate to do it, I kneel by the side of the couch and put my hand on Michael's shoulder, gently shaking him.

"Michael?" I gently whisper. 

He groans and rolls over so his head is facing the other way. "Five more minutes." he mumbles before throwing his blanket over his head. 

I laugh "Michael, you have to drive me to school!" I say before yanking the blanket off his face.

"Wha- What? What time is it?" he asks confused while fumbling to find his watch on the coffee table. 

"About 8:10." I say. "I have to be there in an hour and a half, can you be ready?"

He laughs, "Of course! But can you?"

I scoff playfully, knowing that he always makes fun of how long it takes me to get ready. "Yes, I can be ready. Now, get up, it's my last day!"

"Girl,  I'm gonna have to teach you how to drive." he says with a laugh.

I shake my head and start to make my way towards the bathroom when I'm interrupted.

"Hey!" Michael says.

I spin around to face him again. "Yes?" I ask, slightly confused.

"You didn't kiss me good morning." he says with an exaggerated frown.

I sigh playfully and walk back over to him, placing a kiss on his right cheek. "Good morning." I say against his skin.

He giggles, hardly able to contain his excitement. I think it's so cute how he gets so giddy over the smallest romantic gestures, like a simple touch or kiss.

It makes me feel like I finally matter to someone.