Chapter 34

(A/N: I AM SO SORRY IT TOOK FOREVER TO UPDATE YA'LL I STARTED SCHOOL AND I'VE BEEN STRESSED THIS CHAPTER SUCKS AND I WILL DO BETTER IN THE FUTURE OKAY? OKAY.)

*Nicole's POV*

I woke up the next morning to the feeling of a crick in my neck and warm sunlight being projected onto my face through the slivers of the vertical blinds.

I vaguely remember pulling myself out of Michael's arms in the middle of the night and relocating to the stiff visitor's chair in the corner in order to give him more room; the bed clearly wasn't designed to fit two people comfortably.

I allow my half open eyes to glaze over to him; he's still fast asleep. I glance at his bedside table and notice something that wasn't there last night: an envelope.

I'm so tired, I think about leaving it alone, but my curiosity gets the best of me.

I lift my aching body off the chair and make my way to the over to it.

To my surprise, it has my name written on the front. I flip it around to find that it isn't sealed either.

Careful not to wake Michael, I gently slip my fingers inside and open it slowly to reveal a lined piece of paper...

with my father's handwriting all over it.

I take a deep breath before beginning to read.

By the time you read this I'll probably be gone; they're discharging me today.

I came by last night to do this in person, but I think I might've interrupted something. Don't worry, I'm not mad. I understand that you're an adult now, and you're free to make your own choices, and unfortunately, I can't stop you.

But I just have to tell you that you're making a mistake by being with him. You're so young, you have your entire life to look forward to; he doesn't. Lucy and I, we're different. We mess around, but we know we could never be together- it's not logical. We would never be a real couple like you two.

I did my best to try and accept the idea of you being together, but I couldn't come to terms with it. I regret overstepping my boundaries and putting our lives in danger, but I don't regret trying to get you out of this relationship before you become trapped. I thought getting Luke involved would wake you up. He was just supposed to tell you his story, not take it this far.

He's using you, and he's going to drop you once he gets tired.

I know you can probably never forgive me for what I've done, but just know that I'm sorry and even though it's unlikely you will, I hope you'll eventually come to your senses and allow me to be a part of your life again, but if you don't, that's just fine with me. Just know that I'm taking responsibility for everything I've done. And every single remaining day I have on this earth will be spent wondering what I did wrong to make you want to ruin your life like this.

I love you, Dad.

I lower the letter and the feeling of anger boiling deep within me instantly makes me cry; the sounds from my weeping waking my sweet fiancé that was sound asleep just moments ago.

"Nicole? What happened, sweetheart?" he asks me with half-open eyes.

I cry harder upon hearing his gentle voice.

The same voice that I could've possibly never heard again because of the actions of my father.

I walk over to him and drop the letter in his lap.