Chapter 21

*Michael's POV*

"Babe, don't be nervous, it's going to be fine!" Nicole says while nudging me with her elbow as we approach the doorstep of her old apartment.

Both of our hands were occupied with trying to hold the stacks of presents that we had brought everyone. I'll be the first to admit that it felt kind of weird bringing gifts to people I didn't even know. Add that to the fact I'm 110% sure they 110% hate me, I guess you could say it's laughable.

"I know, hon. I just really want this to go well, you know, for the sake of us." I say while chewing on my lip.

I stop walking for a minute "Do I look okay?" I ask her.

She turns to me and studies my face for a moment. "You look stunning." She says before leaning around the stack of boxes to kiss me on the cheek. "Now come on, I don't think my arms can take holding these much longer." She says while gesturing her head towards the boxes.

I chuckle. "Me too, I should really hit the gym."

"That makes two of us." She says.

We finally reached the "Welcome" mat outside the door that was adorned with little paw prints. "You didn't tell me you had a dog!" I say while gesturing to the mat with my head. She looked confused for a second then her eyes met the same spot I was looking at.

"Oh! Well, had a dog. He died a few months ago, right before I met you." she says quietly. I can't tell if there's tears in her eyes because of the aviators that are hiding them, but the tone of her voice says it all.

"I-I'm so sorry, Nicole. I wouldn't have said anything if I had known-" she cuts me off.

"It's fine." she says with a small sniffle and a laugh. "It's just that we haven't thrown that mat away because it's the only thing that has his prints on it. He was my best friend, but now you are so it's okay." she says while cracking a small smile. "But, if you wanted to get a dog I would definitely not protest that." she says.

"No way!" I say with a laugh. "I'm scared of dogs!"

"Well you better learn to not be scared real quick or else this might not work." She says almost sounding serious.

"Ah, Hell. Well if that's the ultimatum, I guess I'll just have to suck it up then." I say with a small chuckle.

"Good. You ready?" She asks while laying her finger on the doorbell.

I instantly felt a rush of adrenaline course through my body. It took every bit of strength I had within me not to drop the stack of gifts in my arms and bolt to the car in an attempt to escape. I actually considered doing that too, until I thought of the possibility that it could make me look even worse to them than I already do.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I sigh.

She presses it and only about 15 seconds pass by before a girl I don't recognize opens the door. She was short, about 5"3 and had curly blonde hair and green eyes.

"Nic!" She says while reaching out to take the boxes from Nicole's hands and set them on the floor just inside the apartment. I quickly followed suit and put my boxes on the floor next to hers while doing my best not to seem awkward.