Chapter 35

A/N: No, this story didn't die, lol. I have to be honest with you all; thank you for all the support for my first book. I'm so sorry life got in the way and made it so I couldn't update this piece for a long time. I never thought anyone would want to read my work, but I am filled with joy knowing that you all did and liked it. You will never know how much all your kind words mean to me, especially when writing is the career path I have chosen for myself. I have come to the bittersweet decision to end this fan fiction, so I can put forth my full effort into writing other pieces and my first full-length novel which I will publish on here very soon. Although the topic may not be Michael, I hope you will still check them out! And as much as I wish I could continue this book, I think the time has come to give you all the ending you've waited patiently for, and also give Nicole and Michael that as well. :) I love you all and thank you.

-7 Years Later-

*Michael's POV*

I open my eyes and roll over on my side to grab my phone from the nightstand.

I click on the home button and the light from the screen permeates my vision, making my eyes burn. I squint to read the time: it's only 8 a.m. I roll onto my back and rub my face with my hands, before noticing that Nicole isn't next to me. It startles me a bit, but I know it's Christmas morning, and she is up with the kids.

I smile, remembering how different life was only a few short years ago. Feeling as if time was ever-changing and I was unable to do anything about it. I was growing older with no foreseeable reason to value life and all of its little inconsistencies. But as I sat there and thought, I realized when I saw Nicole, it was like time stood still. He laugh, her smile, the way she looked at me; I had never felt such love. And it warmed my heart to know that she felt the same. 

Sitting up in the bed, I lean over and reach into my nightstand. Inside is my Christmas gift to her;  the song I began writing years ago. Even if it wasn't an expensive gift, I knew she would love it because it came from the heart. 

She was just that kind of girl.

So I got up and walked down the stairs to see my beautiful wife, daughter, and son waiting eagerly by the tree. 

Turning around, Nicole's eyes instantly lit up. "Guys look who's up!" 

"Daddy!" the kids yelled as they jumped ran to meet me at the bottom of the stairs. And yes, we did name them Prince and Taylor. 

Nicole follows behind them before leaning in to kiss me on the cheek. "Good morning, sleepyhead." she says. I notice one of her hands is behind her back. "I got you something." she says while bringing it around to reveal that it's a pink envelope closed with a golden wax seal. She leans and whispers into my ear "It's a gift card, don't be so excited." 

I laugh, knowing that she's only messing with me and there is much more inside. "Well, I got you something too," I say as I bring the red envelope around from behind my back and hold it out. "Merry Christmas, my love." I say. 

"Michael! What is this?" She asks genuinely astonished. 

"Something I've wanted to give you for years." I say. "I just had to wait for everything to be perfect." 

She smiles at me, her eyes like two glittering topaz. It's funny how no matter what I'm feeling, looking into them can make the whole world seem a bit brighter. 

Just then, the doorbell rings. 

"I'll get it!" Nicole says before swiftly kissing me on the lips. 

As she makes her way to the door, I take it all in. 

The sound of my mother, Katherine and my sister, Janet greeting my wife at the door. The fact I had so selfishly exiled them from my life for no reason at all and how only Nicole's pure heart could mend the shredded tapestry of our relationship.

The life I wished for and what I got; how this is everything and more in comparison to my wildest dreams.

I think back to what Nicole's mother said to me on the day we had our first child: "Thank you for taking care of my daughter, Michael. She needed you more than anything in the world. I never thought I would see her smile like she did today."

If I sit here long enough and think about it, I realize I needed her more than she needed me.

And how if I never went through all of the trials and tribulations that I had to endure, I never would have made it where I am. 

The place where I found out that all you need is love.

THE END